Peafowl 201: Further Genetics- Colors, Patterns, and More

Dark Pied IB to a White peacock .... BINGO ! ... 100% pied !
Dark Silver Pied to a White ... only first quality birds !

spaldi10.jpg
spaldi10.jpg
spaldi10.jpg

Those are a little bit spalding !

That's part of the reason I work very hard to keep any of the white feather mutations out of my flocks. Besides the fact that they don't breed 100% true I'd have a hard time getting a good price for a white that came from a pair of midnight or violeta pieds/silver pieds. My own preference is to keep them out so I can keep my birds fully colored.

The Pied gene doesn't pose too many problems ... But the gene 'white eyes' which is a danger! Later I think it will be difficult to have Pied peacocks with eyes well colored ... there will be more and more white eyes - the gene 'white eyes' will be like a pollution!... out of control in the Pied genome!

Hello, i'm from germany and new to peafowl and genetics. How to get india blue colors and pattern i learned in this pages.
But how i get pied from other somatic colors i want to know.
If i breed a i.e. Bronze White eye dark pied Cock to white hen i will get ib pied split Bronze,right? But how do i get bronze pied birds? When i cross the offspring back to the father and then cross these offspring?

The patterns :
The white hens : white is a pattern and in fact the color is probably BLEU! ( this hen doesn't come from both parent Bronze pied ... this cross give 25% white who are in fact white/bronze).

Dark IB Pied X White = 100% IB Pied.
In your case Bronze Dark Pied X White ( Blue ) .
So those 100% Pied are Blue split Bronze!to cross brother and sister and you'll get 50% of Bronze pied.

To make a color appear you need 2 genes of this color ... one coming from the father and the other coming from the mother !

There is Pied .... and Pied!
Different qualities!
Imagine this kind of Pied... in any color! ... a bomb !

hqdefault.jpg

... But your is white eyes .... so NOT a bomb !

Dany thank you very much. Why not a bomb from dark pied white eye? Can you tell me if when i breed two pieds together it splits to 25% white, 25% dark pied and 50 % pied. If one is bronze pied and one is purple pied all offspring is blue pied, dark pied an white split to bronze and purple, right?

Kathi, be careful throwing purple into the mix as it's sex-linked, so does not behave like bronze. A purple male over an IB hen will make purple hen chicks and IB split purple male chicks. An IB male over a purple hen will make all IB chicks with the male chicks being split purple. Sounds like you are on the right track with pieds tho.

Back
Top Bottom