Peafowl Nutrition 101

Zazouse, wonderful pictures. Thanks for posting. We've talked of installing some sort of pond but here in the Hill Country of Texas there are so many in ground rocks we'd have to seal it in some way for it to hold water. Most have a well to supplement but they cost a fortune and it's hard to get good water here. We'd have to keep mosquito eaters in it also .......... wonder to ourselves if the upkeep would be over whelming.

Do you mention the stream or pond because they forage around them or because that would allow me another option for growing feed? I don't have one now but are planning on one. thanks
They naturally forage around streams and ponds

The highest quality food items for peafowl are animal in nature and these are seasonally hard to come by. The most consistent source of animal and plant protein alike year round is in the shallows of rivers and streams.
Consequently peafowl are semi-aquatic, Indian peafowl much less so than Green peafowls but significantly more so than most pheasants. The long legged species are generally the waders. Lots of food readily found in the shallows for waders. It's an ancient way of life naturally- one that's been passed down from their most ancient ancestors no-doubt.

I rear guppies in giant pickle jars and in aquariums. Guppies are simply supplements only fed every few days and not in any huge number. The fats and oils, high entirely digestible protein and bony indigestible fibre of fish makes them an optimal supplement for peafowl- much more so than mealworms.

Last edited:
Frenchy I bumped this up for you to read
wink.png

Yoda,,,I now have contact with one of the top poultry guru's from the University of Illinois, (Dr Weller)and also the head nutritionalist for Hubbard Show Rite feeds (Ed Bonnette). I'm under the impression that peas living in the wild have a protein diet that is very high, upwards of over 30% and at times possibly 40% depending on area and sources of food available. Since in the wild they graze all day they are somewhat selective in choosing which bugs-plants tastes better ect. I'm down to one 500 lb batch of feed left then we start phasing in the breeding ration about the end of March. I'm sure I have this "quitter" issue solved once and for all. Now the entire Pea Palace group should see significant higher hatchrates this season. I know I'm on the correct path but I maybe missing something and I want to be sure. I'm speaking with Mr Bonnette later today but I'm positive he will agree with me that birds that are capable of sustained flight needs no less than 22% protein.

They naturally forage around streams and ponds

The highest quality food items for peafowl are animal in nature and these are seasonally hard to come by. The most consistent source of animal and plant protein alike year round is in the shallows of rivers and streams.
Consequently peafowl are semi-aquatic, Indian peafowl much less so than Green peafowls but significantly more so than most pheasants. The long legged species are generally the waders. Lots of food readily found in the shallows for waders. It's an ancient way of life naturally- one that's been passed down from their most ancient ancestors no-doubt.

I rear guppies in giant pickle jars and in aquariums. Guppies are simply supplements only fed every few days and not in any huge number. The fats and oils, high entirely digestible protein and bony indigestible fibre of fish makes them an optimal supplement for peafowl- much more so than mealworms.
Oh wow, I had never thought of giving them fish as treats. Makes a lot of sense about the good fats and oils from fish. My aunts pond has hundreds of the little mosquito eating fish. I wonder if those are okay for peafowl.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I had never thought of giving them fish as treats. Makes a lot of sense about the good fats and oils and from fish. My aunts pond has hundreds of the little mosquito eating fish. I wonder if those are okay for peafowl.

One of the feeds my peafowl *love* has fish oil in it, enough that you can smell it! It's pretty expensive, so the peas are the only ones that get it.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I have been following the thread so I have a question. During the non-breeding season I cut back the protein, then I raise it during breeding season. So my question is do I keep it around 22 percent year round. I read somewhere that to much protein could hurt their legs so I always cut it down, now I am not sure

I think you only cut it down for all the chicks under a year old and the older ones always get the higher %. The way I understood it is that too much protein while their bones are still growing could cause leg problems. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom