Peafowl Varieties Chart

Dany12, I am aware of their toes being able to freeze off. I am just saying maybe sometimes we underestimate their cold hardiness.

I finally finished part 1 of the varieties chart. I just couldn't go to bed without finishing it! It is pretty late...

Anyways, if I made any mistakes with a variety color let me know. I had lots of issues making the file smaller while still retaining detail, so I really hope that you can see the birds and their detail and color can be made out.

Edit: Yeahh the quality isn't looking so good...I will be working on figuring out that...If anyone has any recommendations let me know. I was freezing photoshop earlier with this huge file and it got better once I sized it down.

Also, if your photoshop is freezing try allocating more scratch disc space to photoshop. It likes to use up everything you give it and that will probably allow you to work on the high resolution file better. Of course any additional RAM and VideoRAM you can give your computer to work with helps a lot too. :)

I had to log in so I could UP VOTE this. SO AWESOME! Thank you for putting your time into this labor of love. This chart is beautiful! Do you have a chart for the three Green varieties and the Spalding hybrids also? Would love to see that if you have them available. This is wonderful though. Thank you so much for sharing this with the community! Do you have a Zazzle page? You should make this available for print as a large poster. Some of us would buy it. :)

God bless you,
-Laurene

Thank you! Actually this chart needs updating. There are a few more new varieties that need including on this, but I believe I didn't include them originally because there were not many photos out there of them. Colors like Hazel, Mocha, Tan Wing, etc need to be on here. I think I started making a chart for greens and/or Spaldings but I didn't finish it.

I haven't heard of Zazzle. I was wanting to sell this as I have had just a few prints of it made and it does make a nice poster to reference. I will have to look into that because you are not the first person who has said they want to buy a print of the chart.

I also should work closely with a large peafowl breeder that actually has all these varieties. They could help me make sure I am displaying the colors correctly since photographs don't always show the bird's true color.

Also, if your photoshop is freezing try allocating more scratch disc space to photoshop. It likes to use up everything you give it and that will probably allow you to work on the high resolution file better. Of course any additional RAM and VideoRAM you can give your computer to work with helps a lot too. :)

Thanks for the Photoshop tip! Actually now that I know how to use InDesign I could make each variety pair and then place them into an InDesign document that is poster size. InDesign works really well with large files so if I were to do this again, which I do hope to make more posters, I would do the artwork in multiple Photoshop documents and put it all together in InDesign.

I use Photoshop almost every day. I have CS 5.5 so it isn't the brand newest but it's pretty good. I would be happy to help you in any way you need help, although it sounds like you have a plan. Zazzle is a place where you can upload your artwork for print-on-demand sales. You would have to share the link to the art here for us to find it when you are done. You will need your artwork to be at minimum of 300 DPI and the highest resolution you can make it to make a good poster. Some posters have a minimum resolution requirement for professional printing, to prevent pixelation. I ordered some banners for my game booth this year, first time I ever ordered banners, and I was very happy with how they turned out. Very durable material and for having used screenshots from my game as the artwork for the banner I thought they turned out really well.

I know no one here is actually interested in ordering my banner but I want to show you what it looked like. Here it is on the site:

http://www.zazzle.com/visions_vert_2_5_x_8_outdoor_banner_w_grommets-256362748774574333

You can see a picture of it at my booth here.
http://rlv.zcache.com/isapi/designa...7fbc3-f711-4753-aa25-9cf73153d3c2&max_dim=867

All that just to say I really love the quality of the products they make. :) I'd love to help you get your stuff on Zazzle too!

God bless you,
-Laurene

Not me, I can barely read it... But what DylansMom said is correct. Let me add this -- the Jade birds are different, not just a color, but different birds altogether, from Southeast Asia. They can be crossbred with the birds originally from India, resulting in Spaldings.

White is considered a pattern rather than a color, because it suppresses the color, but the the underlying color is still there. Yes, it seems like white would be a color, but it makes more sense when figuring out the genetics if it is treated as a pattern. There are other "color" mutations that act like mutations of color, not of pattern, and there are also other pattern variations besides just the all white versus all colored.

And let me also say "bienvenidos a BYC"
frow.gif
Welcome!

I found this great post on a website that breeds peafowl They explain in easy to understand terms the differences between the species, the colors and the patterns.

http://rockingbabranch.com/peafowl/peafowl-knowledge-base/peafowl-species-colors-patterns-varieties/

Lots to learn! But this is a great starting point I think.

Thank you! Actually this chart needs updating. There are a few more new varieties that need including on this, but I believe I didn't include them originally because there were not many photos out there of them. Colors like Hazel, Mocha, Tan Wing, etc need to be on here. I think I started making a chart for greens and/or Spaldings but I didn't finish it.

I haven't heard of Zazzle. I was wanting to sell this as I have had just a few prints of it made and it does make a nice poster to reference. I will have to look into that because you are not the first person who has said they want to buy a print of the chart.

I also should work closely with a large peafowl breeder that actually has all these varieties. They could help me make sure I am displaying the colors correctly since photographs don't always show the bird's true color.

Thanks for the Photoshop tip! Actually now that I know how to use InDesign I could make each variety pair and then place them into an InDesign document that is poster size. InDesign works really well with large files so if I were to do this again, which I do hope to make more posters, I would do the artwork in multiple Photoshop documents and put it all together in InDesign.

I would love to have a poster sized version of your chart! Perhaps you can advertise them in the UPA mag and website.

Back
Top Bottom