Peafowls and Dogs [How safe is it ?]

DreamBird

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
New Caledonia
Hi everyone !

So I've been thinking about getting a dog maybe to keep me company as well once I get to live in my own house, with my birds and all that super stuff.
However I wanted to know if, really, if the dog were to approach the peafowl, and chase it around, is it safe ?
I've been watching videos to find out and I found this one, that really didn't make me feel too happy for the peacock.

Do you guys think that a dog chasing a peacock is safe enough or could it end badly ?
hu.gif

Even if the dog is playful when doing so, I do not want the peafowl to be injured since well, I don't even know if we could say that the peacock in the video was "playing with the dog". Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, I do not know. Nevertheless, if Dogs chasing them scares them more than anything, I don't think I'm gonna keep a dog in the case it happens.

Thanks in advance for any replies !

I have 6 big dogs here to watch out for my birds and chasing is never allowed with the exception of my Aussie dog and she is used to herd on command only no running and chasing just for fun, that is a big big no no and she knows it.
If you allow this to happen there is a very good chance you pea will be injured very badly or worse killed when you are not there to stop them because they do not know they are doing something wrong.

Dogs and peas can live in peace together but it is up to you to teach the dog what is acceptable and what is not if you don't have the time to teach them IMO i would not get one till i had the time.

My peas totally trust my dogs and thats the way it should be

You need a dog that has little,or NO Prey drive,,,plain and simple,,,take it from someone who owns 9 Import German Shepherds here,,dogs with drives to hunt do NOT belong around any other type of small animals-birds that the dog could consider a food source

If you get a dog a puppy would be your best option and introduce him to the birds as a baby. The younger the better. I agree it's all about training. Many people don't train their dogs and they attack other animals and the owner can't control them or refuse to because "their dog can do no wrong". A great book to read about dog behavior and training is Ceasar Melons books.

It makes me happy to see the post of the peacocks with the dogs :).I'm glad I'm not the only one who actually teaches their dogs to behave. I see so many people with unbehaved dogs that attack animals and humans! My neighbors to the left of me are a prime example of extremely aggressive dogs...

Good luck!

I think training is the most important. I have a jack russel with tons of prey drive. When we first got her we did lose a few guineas but she learned not to touch the birds after a month or two of tough training. Now she will not even touch babies. We had some chicks pop the windows out of a styrofoam incubator at night once and she did not touch them, she guarded the base of the stair case so they did not go upstairs while we were sleeping (she likes to guard us from things) but she did not touch them.

I see so overall, training is the most important thing, uh ?
Alright, because I really do not want what happened in the video to happen to my birds in the future.
somad.gif

Thank you for all the advices and replies, and for your photos, Zazouse ! They made me feel a bit better on the matter along with everyone's posts. :D

hi,
i know this is an old thread, but my exp. has been that when i brought 2 puppies home everyone mingled.
the full grown peacock easily put them in their place.
no troubles even when the dogs grew up. they are big dogs.
frow.gif

My dogs are here to protect my birds and all of them went threw the (Get the bird) syndrome, starts between 4 to 6 months easy to fix ya just got to be there when they do it to correct them.
I have a dozen dogs and trust ever one of them with my birds.

I wouldn't have let that puppy chase my bird. That was a huge owner failure there I'd say. Don't think it's bad just because some morons with a camera think it's funny. They are really quite lucky imo, could have had a very injured pup.

My peacock was in the dog run this morning when I let the boys out. Our akbash has been introduced to the birds since we brought him home as a pup. He saw the cock and went meandering after him. Cock wasn't too big of a fan of the dog and flew out of the run. The other dogs would have tried to catch him but the akbash is totally fine with all the birds, no worries there.

Back
Top Bottom