Peahen dead

Akbar khakwani

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
My peahen was very healthy she had laid eggs and had sat on them but the eggs had gone bad . The day before she was healthy and mating again with my peacock. My peacock usually sit on walls of my house . But around 12 am my house staff noticed that my peahen fell from the wall , my dogs ran towards it but she was dead before they could attack her . According to him the peahen fell dead from the wall and the dogs could did not even touched her as he scared them away. The weather is moderate around 20 Celsius . I literally have no idea how did she die sitting on the wall Has anyone experienced something similar?

There is a somewhat rare occurrence where a hen can be calcium deficient and in the process of laying an egg, as the egg reaches the shell gland to get the shell, calcium is suddenly drawn from the bloodstream, suddenly depleting the hen's calcium reserves and she has a heart attack from it. It's called hypocalcemia.

This is only a guess. Given the sudden death of your peahen, this could explain it. Of course, there could be other explanations. If you have the luxury of a farm or university lab nearby, you can have them do a necropsy on your peahen to determine cause of death.

My peahen was very healthy she had laid eggs and had sat on them but the eggs had gone bad . The day before she was healthy and mating again with my peacock. My peacock usually sit on walls of my house . But around 12 am my house staff noticed that my peahen fell from the wall , my dogs ran towards it but she was dead before they could attack her . According to him the peahen fell dead from the wall and the dogs could did not even touched her as he scared them away. The weather is moderate around 20 Celsius . I literally have no idea how did she die sitting on the wall Has anyone experienced something similar?
I know if peahens don’t get enough calcium they could get egg bound this can be fatal

Back
Top Bottom