Peahen egg issues

Tammie69

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
Hello everyone, my name is Tammie. I have a question. I have a peahen who has laid 9 eggs. One every other day with the next expected tomorrow. This evening when I was feeding my birds I noticed what looked like a broken egg away from her nest. On further inspection it appears to be only a thick broken membrane. Is this normal or should I be concerned. I’m hoping she goes broody soon I’m worried about the viability of her best.

She is running out of calcium and laid either a thin-shelled egg or an egg without a shell. The other eggs are fine, she just needs to start setting, once they are over ten days old the viability starts going down. We date every egg and pull the ones that reach ten days and set them either in an incubator or under a broody chicken hen. If you have oyster shell put a cup or two in a bowl for her.

She is running out of calcium and laid either a thin-shelled egg or an egg without a shell. The other eggs are fine, she just needs to start setting, once they are over ten days old the viability starts going down. We date every egg and pull the ones that reach ten days and set them either in an incubator or under a broody chicken hen. If you have oyster shell put a cup or two in a bowl for her.
Thank you. Getting extra calcium today. I’ve ordered s an incubator

Im getting more calcium today. I’ve also ordered an incubator to try and save some of them. I’m so new to this. Thank you so much

Update on Penny the peahen. I took her some oyster shell calcium this morning and she was sitting on her nest. It’s been at least 4 hours and she is still there. I guess she just needed me to buy an incubator to motivate her. I guess the countdown starts. Praying this all works out with peachicks in a month.

Good luck. Hope it works out. Between my daughter and I, we have chicks, ducklings, and peachicks. By far my favourite to watch is the peachicks as they grow into their enormous feet. So funny to watch them have zoomies. Amazing how high they can jump in a very short time.
Please post pictures later.

Good luck. Hope it works out. Between my daughter and I, we have chicks, ducklings, and peachicks. By far my favourite to watch is the peachicks as they grow into their enormous feet. So funny to watch them have zoomies. Amazing how high they can jump in a very short time.
Please post pictures later.
I most definitely will post pictures. Praying everything goes well with this first clutch.

Back
Top Bottom