Peahen egg laying

HarlaJean

Hatching
Apr 19, 2021
I have a peahen who is going on 4 years old this summer. She is very much a pet who lives with her 2 year old daughter and 4 year old husband in a large aviary. Last summer she became egg bound and I took her in for a calcium shot and she recovered quickly. Yes she has free range of calcium (I think the issue was her diet but thats fixed now) my question is when she lays here pretty soon, I want to make her life the easiest. And I don't want to have babies again.
Is it
A: letting her lay her whole clutch and then pulling the eggs?
B: pulling the eggs one by one?
C: Replacing her eggs with fake eggs and letting her sit on the fake clutch til she gives up?
Or is there some other option?
I just want her to be happy and healthy and not have to work so hard on laying tons of eggs or not laying on a fake clutch for 28days and getting all skinny.

It is less strain on her to just remove her eggs every day if you can find them. The young hen will also be laying soon.
Yes they are in an aviary and it won't be difficult to find them. She uses the same box every year. I made a box for the younger one as well as im sure she will be laying this year as well. So just taking them as laid will be the best option for her? It won't encourage her to keep laying and laying?

Right I understand the whole process, I was just curious of what is less exhausting physically to her. Thanks for the info. Do you think I should take them one by one of when shes done laying the whole clutch?

Right I understand the whole process, I was just curious of what is less exhausting physically to her. Thanks for the info. Do you think I should take them one by one of when shes done laying the whole clutch?
We take all eggs daily until mid to late July when we let the hens who want to set. Even just starting to go broody has physical changes that tax the hen. They have to adjust to becoming a full-time heating machine that only eats once or twice per day and only relieves herself the same number. Not all hens go broody and some will take a season off, what triggers that I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom