Peanuts for poultry

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ratdog2001, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ratdog2001

ratdog2001 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    Rensselaer, Indiana
    I acquired a large bag of shelled and salted peanuts. Is it safe to feed these to my chickens or turkeys?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I don't think the salt is any good for them, perhaps you can rinse that off?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

In moderatoin would be fine, but I would also be concerned about the salt content.

4. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Mine love peanuts, but I buy the ones in the shell & crack them open to feed. I agree with the others comments in regards to SALTED peanuts tho. Salt is not good for them in large doses.

5. ratdog2001

ratdog2001 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    Rensselaer, Indiana
    Thanks for the timely and very helpful replies. I will rinse the salt and let them feast. You guys are super.

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine where always such corn hogs, then when I purchased in the shell peanuts not salted (was trying to attract squirrels - that never showed up) I ended up adding it to their scratch. Now its the #1 on the hit list. They eat them shell & all.

Peanut butter is "a thing" at my house, a state of emergency is called when I am out. Got the addiction from my dad, so at least I come by it honestly. In fact thats what I had for lunch today - 1 whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. Preferr the organic but sometimes I am just to cheap.....

I am going to try & grow some this summer, should be interesting.....

Edit to add...just noticed you are new here.....big ole BYC welcome [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by