Pear tree mystery

Linda is absolutely correct, she beat me to it. Pick the pears you want when they taste good to you, but are still a bit unripe. Pears ripen off the tree. Put them in a cool, dark area to ripen and you'll have plenty to do all you want with!

Quote:
well, you gotta wrap your head with tin foil first though....

I'm going with the aliens theory. Only one that makes sense and hey, this is deep south, Mississippi - home to more alien abductions and picky probing than anywhere.

lau.gif
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif
That is so funny,I needed that,lol.
I think they just melted ,as hot as it is. I'm betting coons & the dreaded "tree rats" (squirrels).
We have an Asian pear tree,loaded & all the fruit is gone as well. Once word gets out, it's buffet for all the critters,lol.

My in-laws have 2 90 year old pear trees and have always gotten an unbelievable amount of pears every year! But the last 2 years they have been stripped (even the ground) overnight! They also have 90 year old grape vines and 3 90 year old apple trees and they are untouched!
They live here in SW Indiana and are not where people would be able to do this at night, in one night! And the same thing happens to our plum tree every year, but we caught a handful of raccoons stripping ours at night! So, I think it's a huge posy of coons!!!!

Quote:
That's exactly what happened - just stripped overnight - even the carpet of half-eaten ones that had been on ground for weeks.

I guess coons but I'm really surprised that the dogs didn't catch them or tree them. They are very protective dogs and don't let any critters come into yard area. Rex can smell a varmit a mile away and takes off barking. The tree is out by old carriage house so not as close as the plum tree is which is right outside kitchen window. It's possible the coons got the dogs to chase one of them off into the woods while the other coons had a pear picking party.

My hat's off to whatever did this. Wish I had it on tape because it had to be an AWESOME sight. There were several hundred huge pears on that tree.

I know it wasn't humans. We are home 24/7 and there's no way someone could have been out here in the woods and wilderness in middle of night raiding a pear tree that's three stories tall and even if so, wouldn't take every last rotted and half-eaten one on the ground.

I hope whatever it is doesn't like chickens or ducks or peacocks or goats because I have all of those nearby. The ducks and goats are not locked up at night but the chickens are locked in coop. The dogs sleep outside the coop area. Maybe whatever it was will have a stomach ache for awhile.

Odd...well, whatever it was I do hope they come my way. Once those things start dropping, it's a nightmare to cut the grass. Summer before last, before I could cut the grass, my DD and I bagged up 47 bags (the little blue grocery bags). And I cut the grass at least once a week. I am dreading this.

Just and FYI, "cooking pears" NEVER EVER ripen soft. They stay hard forever.
wink.png
I vote someone came and took them
sad.png

We have a HUGE pear COVERED in Pears at the moment. Anyone have any good recipes for them? Remember its the COoking varierty totally NOT edible raw.

Though they don't ever get soft, they are very good to eat fresh and green. I peel mine because the peeling is tough and bitter - and then slice up the pear and eat. It's like a nice tart, crisp apple. I know many people who eat them. My aunt slices hers up and puts them on her cereal. I was planning on drying some and slicing some up and freezing them to make tarts or pies later. I don't know how to can but my mother was going to come and help me make preserves. She says the cooking pears are the best kind because anything you try and cook with regular pears, the pears just fall apart.

Back
Top Bottom