pecans and hickory nuts

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ScoobyRoo, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have trees in my yard that are dropping the nuts now and the chickens are eating them up like crazy. They prefer the pecans. It won't harm them will it? Just want to make sure it wont cause any problems with their little bodies. BTW, yes, I have my fair share of pecans too.[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know about hickory nuts, since we don't have any hickory trees, but the pecans are fine.
    I spent a very enjoyable afternoon the other day just sitting in the garden cracking pecans open for my chickens. They were so excited that they didn't have to work for them. I wish I could have gotten a picture of my two roos, one sitting on each knee, encouraging me to crack faster and the hens all standing around waiting for the next one. [​IMG]

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    When I mowed it cracked alot of pecans. The hickory nuts are harder though. I'm not sure they have taken a liking to those. Gritsar, you do spoil your chickens don't you!?[​IMG]

4. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I couldn't get my chickens or pigs to eat the hickory nuts.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    We have a small pecan orchard with about 15 trees and I haven't even thought about giving them those expensive nuts [​IMG] That is a neat idea, though.

I just want them all for myself!!! [​IMG] Although they sure would be a good source of fat and protien...............nah, still want them for me!! LOL

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I bet a diet high in pecans will make for some seriously rich eggs. Yummmmm

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Henry'schickens :

When I mowed it cracked alot of pecans. The hickory nuts are harder though. I'm not sure they have taken a liking to those. Gritsar, you do spoil your chickens don't you!?[​IMG]

Yes, but they spoil me in return! Think about it. I can't exactly be inside cleaning house if I'm busy outside cracking pecans. [​IMG]
    As I've told my SO over and over again, the chickens are my therapy. They beat any anti-depressant on the market. [​IMG]

8. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    pecans ..i discovered last week that my chickens will all but fight over a pecan half. But they abhor bannanas

9. maine chicks

maine chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    Quote:Yes, but they spoil me in return! Think about it. I can't exactly be inside cleaning house if I'm busy outside cracking pecans. [​IMG]
    As I've told my SO over and over again, the chickens are my therapy. They beat any anti-depressant on the market. [​IMG]

Chicken therapy is great-right up there with pulling weeds. The chicks get me through winter.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by