Pecked chicken

ConvenientHomestead

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2023
We noticed one of our ladies was bloody last night so we quarantined her and cleaned her up. This is how she looks today.

She is obviously swolen and is having trouble opening and closing her beak and therefore isnt eating or drinking. What should we do!?

We can soften some food for her, but I still think I'd have to hand feed her for a couple days. Do you think meds are called for?

Any and all help is appreciated!

IMG_20230618_130725.jpg
IMG_20230618_130722.jpg

I would feed her things like scrambled eggs, yogurt, electrolyte water, and acv in the water. Arnica would help bring down the swelling. I think that this is something you'll have to wait out. Do you know who the culprit is?

Adding water to a small amount of her feed to make it mushy, and offering scrambled egg should help. Does she seem to open and close the beak normally? Her face probably is pretty sore. Do you know why she is picked on?

Her tongue is deviated to the opposite side of the swelling but we were able to get some aspirin and water into her tonight. Hopefully she can eat something when the swelling is a bit better.

Based on what we saw last night, it seems she made a noise that startled the others and they lashed out. It was about 1am and no other evidence of other injury, just her.

Tube feeding is something that can be done if necessary, if she continues to not eat or drink. There are quite a few threads about it, and here is one video:

Back
Top Bottom