Pecked egg?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
Today when I collected the eggs there was one with a very neat, round, hole pecked in it. The shell is cracked a bit with the peck mark, but the membrane is not damaged. It's not leaking at all. Is it still ok to eat? I don't have pics, sorry.

I have a hen that is not gentle with her beak when pushing eggs under her. She pecks them hard, on one end usually. I get eggs with peck holes every once in awhile.

Ack, I missed the notifications for this thread! Thanks for the reassurance, everyone! I'll scramble it up with some bacon and cheese tomorrow.

Today when I collected the eggs there was one with a very neat, round, hole pecked in it. The shell is cracked a bit with the peck mark, but the membrane is not damaged. It's not leaking at all. Is it still ok to eat? I don't have pics, sorry.

I'd eat it today. I think some chickens know they lay thin shelled eggs and they eat them. Are you feeding oyster shells. Feed it separately in a small bow. I nailed the plastic bowl to the raised board I have my feeder and waterer. It's right between them so they can't miss it. I'd eat then egg asap. Tomorrow. Don't boil. Crack in a bowl and check it out. IF membrane is intact it should be ok. Cook it throughly. Scramble or sunny side up. How old is the chicken and what breed. Thank. Good luck

I'd eat it today. I think some chickens know they lay thin shelled eggs and they eat them. Are you feeding oyster shells. Feed it separately in a small bow. I nailed the plastic bowl to the raised board I have my feeder and waterer. It's right between them so they can't miss it. I'd eat then egg asap. Tomorrow. Don't boil. Crack in a bowl and check it out. IF membrane is intact it should be ok. Cook it throughly. Scramble or sunny side up. How old is the chicken and what breed. Thank. Good luck
It is already after dinner today but I will eat it tomorrow. This is the first time this has happened, so we haven't had a real problem with it. The shells feel the same as always (a friend of mine actually commented the other day on how hard my eggshells are compared to her chickens') I do feed oyster shell. The chicken is over a year old and is a red sex link.

Back
Top Bottom