pecked eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by normlori, Sep 15, 2010.

1. normlori

normlori New Egg

Nov 8, 2008
    Two out of three eggs are being pecked on one end of the egg. Little tiny holes to 1/4 inch. Any suggestions on what to do to stop this? Thanks for any suggestion you can give me.

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    From what i have read if you know who is doing the pecking, than lock her up for a few days. She may forget all about pecking. Good Luck!

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yes, you need to find out the culprit. Some hens only peck other hens' eggs. Isolation for a bit may cure her.

Make sure the 'egg pecker' is getting enough protein. If she persists in destroying your breakfast you may need to cull her.

Most hens will eat eggs which do not have a proper shell or get broken, but a regular egg pecker can open several eggs after which the others will take advantage of the contents.

Sandie

4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Put wooden or ceramic eggs in the nests. Even egg shaped rocks will work. When the egg pecker pecks those and finds out it hurts, she should quit pecking the real eggs. You'll have to gather the real eggs often to make sure only the fake eggs get pecked.

5. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Put some saw dust in the nest. Damage to the end of the egg indicates that it had a hard landing. Some birds, especially Barred Rocks, seem to stand up just as they lay the eggs. I don't know why they do that, but I have seen them do it.

Also, feed oyster shell to toughen up the egg shell.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by