Pecked Hen

DougDove

Chirping
Hello. I started raising Jumbo Jap Coturnix quail 7 weeks ago. I got them when they were 4 weeks. I got 5 hens and 1 roo. I keep them in a 3x6 ground pen that I move each week. They are primarily pet/egg layers.
2 weeks ago I started getting eggs. 2 eggs average.
All was going well until last Sat. Every morning I go out at 6am to feed and water the chickens and quail. Around 10 am I went out and found 1 of the hens with the top of her head bald and bloody. We gathered her up, cleaned her up and put ointment on her head. I put her in a dog crate for 6 days and watched her. Shes eating, drinking and active. I read somewhere that quail shouldn't be alone so I put a rabbit cage beside the pen and put 1 of the hens in with her this afternoon. I went to check on her every hour but within 4 hours she had been pecked again, so I removed the other hen.
Asking for advice. Do I keep her separate? Do they need a close companion?

i had a bird who got badly injured, i stuck her in the house by herself and the blood started to scab over. I took one of my especially nice hens and let her play outside with the injured one whenever i could and my bird lived :) all that's left is a small scar behind her eye.

some other people probably know more and had this happen more often. @Nabiki , @Fenrisulfr

Back
Top Bottom