1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecked hens and wry neck .. please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuffOrp82, Aug 11, 2014.

1. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    I have 14 seven week old chicks, they are in a coop that is 4x6 with an attached run that is 9x5. I have a bigger coop and run that they will move into when they are bigger and ready to be integrated with my existing flock. There is food and water available in the coop and run all the time and they are given fresh fruit and veggie treats daily along with scrambled eggs a couple days a week.

last week I discovered one of the chicks (a buff brahma) had had all her tail feathers pecked out and her tailed pecked bloody, I took her out of the run, cleaned her wounds and have been keeping her separate to heal, the next day another chick (another buff brahma) was missing a good amount of tail feathers, I caught it early so no blood but I separated her as well. A week passed and I now have another chick (a black astralorp) that was pecked raw, all the feathers just above her tail are missing and she was a little bloody. I separated her too after cleaning her wounds.

After separating the last chick I noticed she was acting strange, trying to get her head underneath her body so hard that she flipped over, seems like it could be wry neck. She is eating and drinking if I hold food or water right up to her and will walk around but she wont look up and has fits where she suddenly is walking backwards and trying to get her head under her.

Could her getting pecked have caused wry neck?? What should I do for her? People say vitamins like poly-vi-sol but how much and how do I give it to her? in her water or feed it to her directly? Is there anything else?

and how do I find out who in the flock is being aggressive and starting all of this in the first place?? I sat in the run with the chicks for an hour or so yesterday and didn't see anything other than normal behavior.

please help

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You have to just spend time with them each day to watch behavior. Go and give some nutritious treats, and you will probably see who the bullies are. I would separate a bully for a week, and if they still show aggression, they would be gone. Make sure they are getting outside and have plenty of room. Wry neck is a neurological symptom of brain inflammation, so it can be from injury, disease, or vitamin deficiency. Treating with minimal stimulation, making sure she gets food and water, and treating with vitamin B1 (thiamine,) vitamin E, and selenium are best. You can use commercial poultry vitamins in the water, then either add 25 mcg of selenium daily or feed foods rich in selenium such as egg, low salt canned tuna, and chopped brazil nuts and sunflower seeds. Prednisone can also be used in severe cases. Here is a good link with dosages, and a thread to read: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

3. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    Thanks for the advice .. I gave her the vitamin e, selenium, b complex and poly vi sol this evening .. she is still trying to put her head under her but she also can walk and peck food from the ground or her feeder/waterer .. she just won't look up .. She sat and slept in my lap for an hour today .. I just hope the vitamins help ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by