Pecking and feather eating

Mar 29, 2021
Longmont Colorado
Hey everyone. My flock is in bad shape. Many of them have bald spots in their backs or near their vents that have dried blood due to pecking. I’ve seen them peck themselves and others. At first I thought just one chicken was bullying and pecking others but I’ve recently seen others deliberately pulling out feathers to eat. I’ve recently changed their feed to a cheaper alternative from a local mill and I suspect it may have lower protein than advertised. It was supposed to be about 17%. Their previous feed was 16%. I also offer oyster shells free choice and black soldier fly larvae. Any suggestions?

Hey everyone. My flock is in bad shape. Many of them have bald spots in their backs or near their vents that have dried blood due to pecking. I’ve seen them peck themselves and others. At first I thought just one chicken was bullying and pecking others but I’ve recently seen others deliberately pulling out feathers to eat. I’ve recently changed their feed to a cheaper alternative from a local mill and I suspect it may have lower protein than advertised. It was supposed to be about 17%. Their previous feed was 16%. I also offer oyster shells free choice and black soldier fly larvae. Any suggestions?
I’ve also applied pick no more cover up lotion on the worst of them multiple times.

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue with one culprit hen. Did the puck no more help? I currently have the bully separated and I'm treating the sore/scabby vents but I feel so helpless!
Hi! I think it helped for a day or two after application but then it wears off. I am currently trying the Pinless peeper blinders on the bully hens and I think this is a more long term solution, but definitely is a little harder on the hen. Hope this helps

Thanks! I have around 35-40 hens and a rooster with an 8’ by 12’ coop with a 16 by 16 run but am currently about to finish a run extension that will add about 200 sq ft.
Space might be contributing then! It is recommended to give 4 sq ft per bird in a coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. I think if you expand the run, and add some interesting things (a pallet leaning diagonally to jump on or crawl under, a high roost or branch to jump on, other clutter, etc it will give them things to do and places to get away. The coop might be tight for them too. I know our hens like to pick at each other on the roost at night. One sq ft of roost per bird is recommended and even though we have more than that for our hens we have a couple who tend to get poked (missing neck feathers) and it seems to happen at roost time. We call it the roost rumble.

Space might be contributing then! It is recommended to give 4 sq ft per bird in a coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. I think if you expand the run, and add some interesting things (a pallet leaning diagonally to jump on or crawl under, a high roost or branch to jump on, other clutter, etc it will give them things to do and places to get away. The coop might be tight for them too. I know our hens like to pick at each other on the roost at night. One sq ft of roost per bird is recommended and even though we have more than that for our hens we have a couple who tend to get poked (missing neck feathers) and it seems to happen at roost time. We call it the roost rumble.
Ok! I think the new run will help. I’ll add some enrichment as well. Thanks for your time and experience!

Back
Top Bottom