Pecking at the eggs

bow-chicka-bow-bow

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Fuquay-Varina, NC
We have one lady who seems to have become rather possessive of "her" nest box. Although everyone seems to like the same box and they all want to use that one, if anyone comes in before her and lays an egg, she will peck at it. Sometims, there will be a small dent with a slight crack in an egg and then yestereday, they had actually gotten a small part of the shell, but hadn't broken through the membrane, so the egg was all still intact. I don't know if any of the other girls are pecking at it, but I suspect that they do if they see the initial one start.

So, how can I get them to stop pecking at the new fresh layed eggs? Also, this is something that they have just started doing. I have 3 EE's and 5 BS and they all just started laying last summer around July and the EE's stopped completely in November and just started back. The 5 BS slowed their laying and have picked up some recently, so I don't know why this pecking of eggs has recently started.

To prevent chickens from pecking at eggs and eating them is to put a wood egg in there or something round that they can peck off.
It sure helped my hens!
big_smile.png

I keep a golf ball in each nesting box and collect eggs often so if anyone tries to peck at an egg chances are they will get a sore neck from pecking the golf ball
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom