Pecking BAD damage

Helpusta

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Hey all,

I recently have been having problems with my chickens pecking one another. All but one chicken has these bare spots. I was trying to experiment with a blukote type product, and separate out the chickens to stop it. The areas (one spot on the back of one neck, but mostly just on the bottom of the back area) were never really red, and I never saw blood until just recently. Thats when I saw a little blood (maybe quarter sized) on one of the chickens. That is also when i realized things were getting serious. So I picked up some icthammol and used that on the areas of the chickens I could catch. Well the one with blood on it I could catch (the space is set up so it is difficult, but it wasn't a ton of blood so I wasn't concerned, and just resigned myself to catching him the next time they roosted. Well I finally caught the bugger today.

It was far far more serious than I imagined. Hiding under her wing was a 2"x2" gouge probably at least a quarter inch deep bloody and nasty. She is still alert and moving around, but I do not have a lot of hope for her considering how much was taken out of her. I really don't know what to do. I doused it in some ichthamol as it is the only product that I had. I could get out the cage i had for them when they were chicks and just put her in it, but at the same time I don't want to stress her out. It will take a while since part of the lid doesn't come off which was fine when they were chicks, but at their current size I'm not sure she would fit comfortably through the gate. I could demo it, but i'd have to do it on the fly and i dont' know if it would be secure enough for her.

What do I do?

Thank you for any advice...

Well I haven't heard anything from anyone. So here is my plan:

I will get one of those big/deep rubbermaid containers and put holes in it, I will also take apart that chick one to hold the most hurt chicken and the untouched chicken. The untouched chicken is the only one I can imagine is doing the damage at this point. i removed the roosters (sadly the animals got to them before I figured it out :( :( :( ), and the pecking damage still got worse. The untouched one though has never been aggressive whenever I'm around though, so she's been my one off.

As well as treating the wound I would use some Vics Vaporub. This works great for me and after 1 or 2 tastes they will stop pecking..

Removing the chick will work but keep an eye on it when returning to the group as they might pick any scabs.

The Vics is cheaper than buying the anti- pick stuff and most have it on hand or can run to Walmart and pick it up. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom