Pecking for blood

Anniefromarkansas

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2020
Have a flock of mixed breeds in two portable tractors, 9 months old. Noticed a drop in egg production when shorter days hit in fall and we experienced some low temps (15°).
We put heat lamps (white) in nesting areas at night for warmth.
Started noticing pecking going on to draw blood..had to pull injured hen out of tractor and place her in Temporary pen (4'x4') to heal. We're continuing having pecking problems going on even though we've changed out white to red bulbs and feeding them alfalfa hay or Pellets to scratch and pecking. Hoping to satisfy their need to pecking.
anyone have any advice?
Also , how cold of temps can chickens stand?
Ida Schroeder
Sims, AR

Have a flock of mixed breeds in two portable tractors, 9 months old. Noticed a drop in egg production when shorter days hit in fall and we experienced some low temps (15°).
We put heat lamps (white) in nesting areas at night for warmth.
Started noticing pecking going on to draw blood..had to pull injured hen out of tractor and place her in Temporary pen (4'x4') to heal. We're continuing having pecking problems going on even though we've changed out white to red bulbs and feeding them alfalfa hay or Pellets to scratch and pecking. Hoping to satisfy their need to pecking.
anyone have any advice?
Also , how cold of temps can chickens stand?
Ida Schroeder
Sims, AR
How many birds in how much space?
My flock has seen temps as low as -23F with no supplemental heat.

How many birds in how much space?
My flock has seen temps as low as -23F with no supplemental heat.
⁰p⁰0ⁿ]0009
Hi Dobielover ,
We have 12 girls in 72 Square feet of a chicken tractor, 4' of nesting area made of wood w/ 5 boxes currently being used for laying..then 8'of scratch area. Then for the moment 3 in a tractor thats 40' square feet,, 3' feet nesting box with 5 boxes and 5' feet scratch area.. always on good grass and moved every 2nd or 3rd day.. Being new to having hens, we're experiencing problems with them of lately.. seemed to start when days got shorter, and egg production almost stopped..they're only 9 months old and not molting yet,,too young according to experts.. I'm just trying everything I can to stop the pecking for blood.. I can't keep building pens for injured girls,, already have 4 going..

Back
Top Bottom