Pecking injury...

Thank you to @aart and @Wyorp Rock for all the help you gave me in dealing with not one, not two, but three bullied chickens! The other two, Popcorn and Cinnamon, seem to be doing good in the coop. They haven't pecked each other and actually cuddle on the perch at night. In about a week, I will slowly add the three bully chickens back to the coop to see if they get along. I will post here if I have any other issues with all that. Thanks again

Not the update I wanted to provide. Marshmallow died😢 I found her in the coop when I got home from work, in the same exact spot I put her in last night after her bath. She looked peaceful, her head was tucked under her wing. I did blow dry her off after her bath but now I'm wondering if she might have been too wet to go out. It did get down into the upper 20's last night. I hope I didn't kill her. She is the first chicken I have lost, in all my years of chicken keeping. The others I have given away when they stopped laying, to a chicken "retirement home". RIP Marshmallow. Sorry I couldn't save you
Oh, no, I'm so sorry that you lost her. :hugs

Not the update I wanted to provide. Marshmallow died😢 I found her in the coop when I got home from work, in the same exact spot I put her in last night after her bath. She looked peaceful, her head was tucked under her wing. I did blow dry her off after her bath but now I'm wondering if she might have been too wet to go out. It did get down into the upper 20's last night. I hope I didn't kill her. She is the first chicken I have lost, in all my years of chicken keeping. The others I have given away when they stopped laying, to a chicken "retirement home". RIP Marshmallow. Sorry I couldn't save you
:hugs I'm sorry about Marshmallow.
You did everything you could for her.

So, another update. For the last week and a half, both pearl star leghorns(Cinnamon and Sweet Pea) and the light brahma(Popcorn) have been in the coop together, very successfully. So, yesterday, I introduced back one of the black sex links(Fairy). They were all out free ranging and Fairy just could not leave Popcorn alone. Those butt feathers were just too tempting I guess. Then she was going after Cinnamon. It got dark and I was hoping they would be ok through the night. Well, this morning, while I was eating breakfast, I saw her going after Popcorn and Cinnamon again. So, my husband and I went out and checked. Popcorn has been bloodied again. We have culled Fairy the bully. Broomstick method. Now, Popcorn is back in her dog cage. She doesn't look bad, hoping she heals well. I do still have another black sex link(Midnight) in another dog cage, in chicken jail. She was bullying too. I will wait a few days and put her in with the others. If she still bullies, out she goes too. I will not have that in my flock. And I will never again get black sex link chickens

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_124922114_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210313_124922114_HDR.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 6
So, another update. For the last week and a half, both pearl star leghorns(Cinnamon and Sweet Pea) and the light brahma(Popcorn) have been in the coop together, very successfully. So, yesterday, I introduced back one of the black sex links(Fairy). They were all out free ranging and Fairy just could not leave Popcorn alone. Those butt feathers were just too tempting I guess. Then she was going after Cinnamon. It got dark and I was hoping they would be ok through the night. Well, this morning, while I was eating breakfast, I saw her going after Popcorn and Cinnamon again. So, my husband and I went out and checked. Popcorn has been bloodied again. We have culled Fairy the bully. Broomstick method. Now, Popcorn is back in her dog cage. She doesn't look bad, hoping she heals well. I do still have another black sex link(Midnight) in another dog cage, in chicken jail. She was bullying too. I will wait a few days and put her in with the others. If she still bullies, out she goes too. I will not have that in my flock. And I will never again get black sex link chickens
Aww, poor Popcorn!
I don't blame you, sometimes a bird does have to be removed to restore peace. I'm not a fan of separating or culling and try to do everything I can, but several years ago I did cull a hen that just seemed to go bonkers. She would bully, she'd fight the rooster, he'd whomp her good and she'd come back for more, she'd try to mate the rooster, she'd even get on top of him when he was mating another hen, she screamed a lot and never seemed to settle - just crazy! I necropsied her and found that she had cancer of the ovaries - so I wondered if her psycho behavior was hormonal.
Some birds can just be plain mean too. I've had 2 of the same breed (full sisters) tag team their flock mates as well - just minor pecking order stuff, but if not checked they might have gotten carried away. The rooster at that time would tolerate it for a short while, then just nip it. They would stop for a few weeks and test the rooster again LOL He was wise to them;)

Hopefully Midnight doesn't do the same once she's back with the others. I've never had black sex links, but I think I remember someone else having some issues with theirs. Could be genetics/hormones or just plain 'ol meanies.

I'm assuming this will be the last update. I put Midnight, the other black sex link, in the coop with the other three last night. Popcorn is bloody again this morning. Midnight is now seperated and will be taken care of when my husband comes home from work. I'm ready for a peaceful flock, even if it's just three chickens! Thank you @Wyorp Rock for all your help in this crazy time!

I'm assuming this will be the last update. I put Midnight, the other black sex link, in the coop with the other three last night. Popcorn is bloody again this morning. Midnight is now seperated and will be taken care of when my husband comes home from work. I'm ready for a peaceful flock, even if it's just three chickens! Thank you @Wyorp Rock for all your help in this crazy time!
Sorry to hear that!
I hope with Midnight gone that this resolves the issues and that Popcorn heals just fine.
You are most welcome, let me know if anything else develops. Wishing you and your flock well. :)

Well, I hope I don't jinx myself but I think we might have the dream team here. Finally. The last three chickens are Popcorn, Sweet Pea, and Cinnamon and they are getting along great! My only question now is, am I looking at bare chicken butts all summer? Will they wait until their molt in the fall to grow their feathers back? Their butts are pretty bare, I'm just glad we finally are getting warmer weather so they won't be as cold!

Back
Top Bottom