Pecking order? Beating up on one hen.

MDBMom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Is there truth to this?

I ask because 2 of our chickens are totally ganging up on one of the smaller hens. She's actually older, but for some reason is the low woman on the totem pole. The dominant hen does not pick on her, and she will get after the other 2 meanies if they are doing it to much.

Now, so far it has seemed to not be too much of a problem. But, today I am noticing that the poor hen that is getting bullied has areas on her back (just under the base of her neck, and also the top of her tail area) where they seem to have pecked her and she has lost feathers. What do I do???? Our friend that gave us the chickens is coming over tonight, so I will certainly have him look at her, but in the mean time I was hoping to get some advice here. Thanks!

There are some commercial products at the feed store to prevent pecking. Pine tar applied to the area is the old fashioned remedy. Don't let it get too bad or you will loose your hen. We have one that gets pecked more than the others. Definitely at the bottom of the pecking order and hard for me to watch!
th.gif

I had a similar problem. I think by the time it's too bad, it's too late. The best advice is similar to that they give new mom's of infants (not to be too dramatic) but trust your instincts and if it doesn't seem right then intervene. I used this product http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039J3N12/ref=oss_product and it worked pretty well. However, I had to spray all my hens' tails at the same time. When I tried spraying just the one being pecked, they started pecking someone else's tail
sad.png
. I learned on another board on here that if you let it go too long, they'll get bloody sores and then your chickens will actually turn canibalistic once they get a taste of blood. YIKES! So, be very careful and good luck!!

P.S. In addition to spraying, I started putting out two food sources so there was less conflict. Two feeders meant the meanies couldn't guard everything all at once and so everyone got along a bit better.

I have the same problem. I had a hen and a rooster all winter. About a month ago, I got 10 red stars that were already laying, as is the hen (dominique) I already had. Those 10 reds are so mean to the single Dom. I was traumatized about it. I got her a apron/saddle thing and put it on her..they are still mean to her, but they can't hurt her so bad now..

I'm glad your lead hen is intervening sometimes. My lowest hen is buddies with my lead hen, so she doesn't get picked on much. You might "paint" the areas with blue kote (you can get from tractor supply and other places). Or you can try a saddle, as someone else suggested. You could also crate one of the bullies for 2-3 days and see if that helps lower that one's status when you put her back with the others.
I don't know what causes severe bullying behaviors...not enough room CAN cause those behaviors. But some have reported severe bullying who have roomy coops and runs. Some say nutrient imbalances can cause picking...not enough protein and things like that.

You definitely don't want to let it go too long, because if blood is drawn, they could actually kill her. Make sure you have plenty of roosts in your run area so that she can get away from the others if needed. Also, have more than one feeder, so she has access to feed. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom