Pecking order change, not laying now, tail down some too.

JPHens

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 30, 2013
I had four chickens and in February a pecking/feather pulling problem developed and I haven't been able to get rid of it. Three of them peck and it was getting so bad for the one at the bottom, Mel, that I gave her to someone with a much better situation for her. She is much happier but now my hen Flighty who was next to the bottom is of course at the bottom, and she has not laid an egg since Mel left just over two weeks ago. I am sure b/c she lays blue eggs and the others lay brown. She is not plucked at as much as Mel was but she is plucked at some, both on her neck and her butt. She seems to get enough to eat as I make sure to spread the food around, and she feels solid to me. She pecks in compost and hay, etc. often during the day - they are out and half a good amount of space all day. . She mostly acts healthy though she does have her tail down sometimes and she sits/lays down, just sort of relaxing, more than the other two. But she did both of these things before Mel left too, when she laid about 4 eggs a week.

I felt around her vent/butt area and it feels like the other two girls to me..nothing hard. I have seen darrhea on occasion including yesterday but I don't notice a big pattern of it and her bum doesn't seem to have remnants on it.

I would love to hear what people think!

Thanks,
Lauren

I can't believe that none of you chicken experts have some feedback! Please?

I checked today for signs of mites and I don't see any, just new feathers growing in.

Thank you. I am going to do the dewormer. I will send photos but she's not so extreme looking (luckily)

Back
Top Bottom