Pecking Order, Chicken Time-Out and Adding Two Pullets?

Should I put one of the old chickens to roost with the two new ones for the night on the second night the two new ones came?

Personally, I wouldn't push it that quickly when you can't be there to intervene. You never know when the "nice" chicken is going to get irritated that these strangers have gotten too close or have chosen the favorite roosting spot and decide to strike out.

I would separate them at night for awhile (is there a way to divide the coop or a dog crate you can put the newcomers in so everyone can sleep together without interacting?

How do I know when it's time to move my new chickens in with my old ones on the roost? What signs are there that mean the new ones won't be killed and are accepted?

How do I know when it's time to move my new chickens in with my old ones on the roost? What signs are there that mean the new ones won't be killed and are accepted?

How old are the new chickens v old ones? Roosting time is always a bit of a defense/strategy time in my coop ... and the favorite spot is by the door/window to the run. One stakes out her spot early and doesn't move, another tries to push her way between and there's plenty of nudging - and that's just amongst the flock that knows each other!

My young pullets are interested in roosting but they get the stink eye from the big girls and sometimes chased off, so they still nest down either in their box (that the big ones can't get into) or, recently, a corner of the coop where everyone can see everyone else but there's a temporary truce.

How much roosting space do you have? I read its like 8 inches per bird, but I have to think thats in an established flock where pecking order is established.

How old are the new chickens v old ones?
New ones are 8 months ish and the old ones are 2. The new ones are about a half inch smaller. Roosting time is always a bit of a defense/strategy time in my coop ... and the favorite spot is by the door/window to the run. One stakes out her spot early and doesn't move, another tries to push her way between and there's plenty of nudging - and that's just amongst the flock that knows each other!

My young pullets are interested in roosting but they get the stink eye from the big girls and sometimes chased off, so they still nest down either in their box (that the big ones can't get into) or, recently, a corner of the coop where everyone can see everyone else but there's a temporary truce. 

How much roosting space do you have? There roost is big. I read its like 8 inches per bird, but I have to think thats in an established flock where pecking order is established. 

Have the 8mo been spending any time in the coop at night?

Maybe after your older ones are done laying for the day, close the 8mo in so they can get a sense of the place without being pecked at. I've been letting my older ones in just as it gets dark so they don't have as much time to scuffle, and then I'm staying out there to watch and make sure the younger ones aren't getting hurt. One just hides in the box, the other is getting bolder.

Some people swear you can just "put them on the roost when its dark, and the flock wakes up thinking that bird must have been there all along." I'm not sure I believe that one - I'd want to be there before first light to make sure there wasn't a gang war.

I just put my two new chickens in with my old ones for good. The old ones aren't killing them, and I've been watching for a while! How long do I have to watch before I can leave them all together without me being there ?

I just put my two new chickens in with my old ones for good. The old ones aren't killing them, and I've been watching for a while! How long do I have to watch before I can leave them all together without me being there ?
Check frequently(every hour or two) for the next few days to see how things are going.

Back
Top Bottom