Pecking Order Conflicts

lilje

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
I posted on another thread, but thought I'd start my own. I currently have 4 chickens. 2 Americaunas, 1 Brahma and 1 Austrolorp.
I did have a Delaware, but she died a few weeks ago. That is when my problems started. The Delaware was not at the bottom of the pecking order, or so it seemed. They would have a few squabbles now and then, but the chicken who got chased away would always come back and squeeze in to get food and water while being careful not to upset the others. Currently a new pecking order is being established. My concern is for the chicken who has been chosen to be at the bottom. She is my favorite Americauna. She is sweet, inquisitive and braver than any of the others, but they are bullying her into submission. I am afraid they are going to kill her. All three gang up on her and peck at her. She just stands there and takes it. She really doesn't have much choice. If she tries to run away they chase her and attack her much more violently. I don't know what to do. I know I should let them sort it out, but I'm afraid they are going to severely injure or kill my sweet Rosie. Any suggestions on getting this process resolved quickly. They are not allowing her to eat or drink and at night when she goes into the coop they chase her out. I know it's crazy, but last night I opened up the coop and put her in after she had been chased out and I just stood there for a while watching them. My presence seemed to do the trick and they left her alone. She just wanted to cuddle up next to them and they were not having it. I'd appreciate any advice as this is stressing me out quite a bit.
Thanks
Oh, another odd thing is that my Austrolorp is trying to crow like a rooster. Very strange.

I would add another feeder, placed apart from the first. When they gang up on her, are they plucking feathers or drawing blood?? Or do you think it possibly looks/sounds worse than it actually is? I would only interfere if they're actually yanking feathers out or causing her comb or whatever to bleed. I know it's tough to watch, especially when they're picking on a favorite.
You can also try a squirt bottle - I've sat in the run (when I was having bullying issues) and squirted the offender(s) when they went out of their way to be mean. Pecking or chasing away from treats or the feeder is typical...pecking order stuff. So is getting the choice spots on the roost at night.
Oh, and if your coop has the space, you might consider adding another roost...

I was going to say the water to, and when you do it, make like a noise of some sort- like, Ahh, or something like that, and if it's possible poke one of their backs with your nail, not hard, kwim? Shows that you control the pecking order, or like you are the main hen ;) Sounds weird I know, but it worked for me. I know it's so hard seeing them go thru that :( Keep us posted if you don't mind. :)

Thank you both for responding. I was feeling pretty bad about the whole situation. I had tried a few of the things you suggested. Spraying with water being one of them and poking them with my finger. I thought if I acted like a rooster it might help. I did feel a little weird doing this, but it seems to have gotten their attention. My victim is still very wary of the whole group. She has separated herself from them and will not go anywhere near them. I don't think they have drawn any blood and I haven't seen any feathers, which is amazing because their attacks look pretty vicious. I am hopeful that it will be better soon. It has already gotten quieter out there, but I think that is because my Rosie is just avoiding any contact with them at all. I do have two roosting bars in my coop, but they all want to be in the same spot. They push and poke each other until they get it right. Rosie stays away from them until they settle down and then she sidles over to the top hen and tries to put her head under her wing. I feel so bad for her. She just wants to be part of the group and they are so mean to her. I'll keep you informed on how it goes. Do you think it is a bad idea for me to let her out into my yard to explore a bit on her own? I did this yesterday and she was so happy to be away from them. She wandered all over the yard, chirping happily the whole time.
Thanks again for the advice, I truly appreciate it.

It will probably take a little time, but hopefully here soon it will get easier and easier, just keep doing what you are doing, sure you are doing great! :) I think it is okay to let her out, does she walk back into the coop/run by herself, or do you have to put her in there? No matter what, there will always be pecking with them, but we try to keep it at minimum! ;) I feel bad for your girl too, breaks my heart her trying to sleep under the others wing.. :(

I do believe it will get better... hopefully sooner rather than later. She does go back into the run on her own. I, of course, have to open it up for her, but she has really enjoyed the freedom of roaming the yard. It's funny that she is safer out in the yard with my dog and my cats than in the run with her fellow chickens. lol Thanks for your support. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

That breaks my heart!:( I do hope things have improved. I have 6 brahmas, 2 dark, 3 buff, and one mixed - all 9 mos old and they get along great. Maybe because they are still young? My one dark (Jasmine) however does sleep alone on top of the nesting boxes and I don't know if she prefers it or the rest will not allow her on the roost. I do worry about her at night because while the others are close together for warmth, she is near window and must be cold. We have had some below freezing nights. I have not been able to determine the alpha so I like to think Jasmine is the queen and prefers her solo sleeping spot. Good luck!

While things have quieted down some, my little Rosalie is still the odd one out. They don't totally shun her now, but they still will chase her away from the food if they feel like it. Sometimes they let her eat and other times they don't. She has become my little buddy. She feels very confident when I am out in the yard with them and will follow me all over the place talking to me quietly. As for sleeping, sometimes she huddles closely to them and sometimes she is on her own. I tend to think that when one sleeps by themselves it is because the others won't let them close, but from what I've seen there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way my girls decide who sleeps where. They even occasionally will sleep in the nesting boxes, which leaves quite a mess. At least they are not attacking her anymore. That was so hard to watch!
Thanks for your comments and good luck with your girls. They are a lot of fun and sometimes quite puzzling.

i feel your pain.i have a 14 week old pullet that is being pecked and chased by an older pullet.the rest of the flock wont bother her at all until this one pullet starts and than they all go after her.i did put the one offending pullet in solitaire today,hoping to give the younger pullet some peace.and hoping it may break the older one from bullying.

Back
Top Bottom