Pecking order making it hard to give abandoned chicken new life...

I haven't been able to get photos of her, but I turned to the last idea given and it's been working out good. :) Thank you for the ideas everyone. One last question though about egg laying... Grace isn't laying eggs. I wouldn't expect eggs from her either, given her weight and health are both on the lower end. But do you think she will lay eggs once she's back to health? I guess no one can probably answer that one, but it's worth asking. Whether she gives eggs or not though, she is safe with me. Time that she experiences a loving home. [/URL]
Not laying eggs and flockmates died of freezing is reason I want to see Grace. She may be too poor / underweight to to fight or lay eggs. In that case she needs to be conditioned separately until she is in better weight. A really poor bird can be killed with minimal effort.

But I do have her separate from the others. She's in the coop, but in a crate away from harm's way. She did start in my garage, but I know she'll stay warmer in the coop. And today I let them all out and Grace and I had figured out a plan. She wanted to stay on the side porch, so I placed a separate dish of food for her there. Whenever a chicken went for her, I would know and I could go help her. Can't keep them locked in the coop forever... :) She is smart though and trusts me and I'm not going to fail her. I do have some canned kitten food that was given to me for her also. Guess it has a lot of protein in it. Even if these are her last days, they're gonna be good. Just finished giving an old dog a forever foster/retirement home too. Sad to see him go, but glad to know he went to [dog] Heaven loved and not neglected (as he had been before he came to me).

Her face looks pale so still stressed in video. She is a fluffy breed so weight hard to ascertain. When holding her, can you fell a lot of muscle on her breast-bone?

To speed conditioning, I suggest an alternative to the cat food. Scramble a couple eggs then mix in couple tablespoons of paprika or cayenne. Then make a mixture of chopped dark greens (spinach works great) along with equal parts by volume black oil sunflower seeds with shell on, and whole field or popcorn (not popped). Also provide grit. If possible get her some live meal worms to really ramp up her appetite. Make no assumptions about prior care.

Some ingredients serve more to simply stimulate appetite. Also be watching for signs of intestinal worms. If problem is reconditioning only, then a week or two is all it takes to get ready for integration although your coop component is tight.

Thank you so much. I will look into upping her diet more to what you have shared. And no her breast-bone doesn't feel like there's much there. She has gained a little since coming here. (No longer feels like a piece of paper.) But certainly far from where she needs to be. She tried jumping onto my work bench (about 4' off the ground) and barely reached half that. My other chickens can jump into the fenced dog area. (That's about 5' high...) Tomorrow depending on the temp, I may lock her in the chicken run alone while I'm gone for the day, with food and water - it has a dirt ground and may give her something to do activity wise. There's a roost in there too, lower that she could reach. Then I'll just keep the others locked in the coop. And I'll get mealworms as soon as possible. Usually have some on hand, but not this time.

You location / weather may need to be considered. Until she can fly up to the bench, keep her above freezing and out of the wind. Same muscles needed for flight and jumping also generate heat. Appears short on muscle mass.

The run you see in the picture (actually a dog kennel) I have tarped right now through the winter months. No snow/wind can get in at all. And we are suppose to be in the 40's tomorrow. (Rejoice!) But it has a dirt ground, so she can have free reign to scratch for whatever she can find on top of the scratch grains she has to eat (until I get her meal cooked). I don't want her stressed at all and after you pointed her face out, I'd like to give her a day to just relax in solitude and comfort. Thank you so much for all the information!

Last edited:
Very happy to share that Grace has started laying eggs.
yesss.gif
Her health is blossoming!

Back
Top Bottom