Pecking order or possible cockrels?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickie'sMoma, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i was hoping someone might be able to tell me if this is to early to tell whether my 2 chicks i bought might become cockrels or if it is just a pecking order thing and one or both could be hens? (as you can tell, i'm a newbie at this.)

i got back earlier today from a swap and have two very cute, 2 week old chicks. one a plym rock mixed with a silkie, and the other a buff orp crossed with a silkie. both have wonderful colors showing already.

i noticed that they seem to be affectionate most of the time to each other, then they started 'kick boxing' with each other and seem to be doing it every few minutes while one or the other is eating at the food dish.

is this a sign that they are going to be cockrels or is it a pecking order that even pullets would display at this age?

thanks for any help with this! [​IMG]

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do you have any pictures you could upload and share with us? That often helps a lot with questions like this. (Remember, as a member here, you have free image storage space right on this site! [​IMG] ).

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Both baby cockerels and pullets will play fight, do the chest bumping, feet kicking thing. It's not an accurate guide for judging sex in the young ones.

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the pic from ChickMagnet whom i got them from.
    [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Nice pics. It's hard to tell until they get a little more of their feathers , but I think it may be just establishing their pecking order. Time will tell.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Agreed.

They are cute!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, pecking order. Roo ego starts to show up at 12-16 weeks usually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by