Pecking order problems

mcarls22

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2015
We have two Rhode Island Reds and one production red I think we have had them for 2 weeks . The two RIR's are about five months or younger and the Production Red is bigger and looks about 6 months. The production red and the RIR keep getting in disputes fly at each other and PR sometimes pecks at the RIR not drawing blood or plucking feathers just pecks at the beak area . How long would this behavior last and are they still trying to establish a pecking order?

Do you have any pics? And are you sure they're all pullets? I had a RIR, he was a mean little booger (he was suppose to be a she, AND an EE, not a RIR, somehow he ended up in the EE bin at the store). He went back to the store I got him from (he ended up being a special order for a customer, so it all worked out for me).

They are still working out dominance. It sounds as if the scuffling is minimal and eventually things will settle down. Understand that the 'pecking order' is a fluid ever changing thing. Birds at the top are reinforcing their dominance and lower ranked birds are looking for a chance to improve their position.

Back
Top Bottom