Pecking order question

MPJ

Chirping
Feb 2, 2020
New Mexico
I have 8 6 week old pullets and it is already very oblivious who is lowest on pecking order. I have a buff orpington who in the brooder already got her tail feathers picked bloody twice. Peck no more worked great for that and it hasnt happened again since they are now in the coop. All 7 others roost on the highest roost very close together while there she sits, all alone on the bottom roost on the opposite end. It is pitiful

I have to give 2 of my pullets to my friend since I can really only accommodate 6 hens comfortably. So here is my question. If I were to give my friend this particular one and she is introduced properly to her flock will she stand a chance of raising in the ranks? My friend has several more birds than I do and a couple roosters. I am just wondering if I should keep her if you think she would do better in my smaller flock.

The hardest introduction to a new flock is one pullet or hen, so this sounds difficult to me.
What breeds do you have? Have you identified the worst aggressors in your flock? If yes, send them! Especially if your friend's birds are older, nasty pullets will have to climb back up the social ladder there, and might possibly turn out better. As long as you let your friend know what the story is.
If you do send your bottom pullet, see if she has a friend to go along, or hope that your friend's flock is nicer, has more space, and more hiding places for her.
Coop and run size, hiding places, and diet all can be involved in this, assuming that she's actually healthy, and that there are no mites or lice involved.
Mary

What breeds do you have? Have you identified the worst aggressors in your flock? If yes, send them!
I have 2 Australorps
2 Buff Orpingrons
2 White Leghorns
1 Easter Egger and
1 ameraucana

The only one that seems a bit aggressive is one of my Australorps. That is a great idea sending the more aggressive since it may knock them down a bit. He chickens free range so plenty of room. I spend a lot of time with my girls and they are all healthy, no mites or lice and eat drink and poop health lol. I wish I could just keep them all but cant so have to make the tough decision on which 2 to part with

You know, I thought this was my post until I realized I am not MJP, lol! I had the same type set up, front and back roost, 8 chickens, all wanting the front roost. One chicken being picked on. One biggest bully. In my case, the bully "up and died" from I have no idea what. The mood in the coop and yard calmed down dramatically. Most nights, all 7 girls roost on the front one. There is still some minor picking but not nearly as bad as before.
In your case, I would observe the girls carefully before deciding which to get rid of. See if either of them can get along with the other girls. Definitely the bully will be taken down a peg or two put into a new situation, at least temporarily..

Back
Top Bottom