Pecking order.

Brady bunch

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
NY
I think that our chickens are starting the pecking order. When I usually play with my chickens they seem normal and look fine. But the past week or so there combs have been bleeding. Also after they free range they last one into the pen gets pecked at and stood up to from the others. Is there any way so they will stop pecking at one another to the point that they bleed?

They peck at each other the most when they are in the run and coop. Not as much while free ranging.
It's very difficult to stop pecking order pecking if that is what is going on. I used to get door guarding until I arranged the roosts so the chickens were above and away from the door.
Multiple roosts can help.
Failing all else I use Pine tar on comb wounds. It not only seals the wound but discourages further pecking.

I wish I could give you some better, or more easily done options, but you either need more coop space or less birds.
Mrs K

I'd agree with this, but also add you said you have 6 birds and 4 are hens for sure. They will absolutely still do the pecking order with a Roo around, but in my unscientific experience a Roo will keep the pecking order much more civil. If you post pictures of the two you are unsure about, we could likely sex them for you pretty quickly on here (one of my hobbies, and I'm at like a 90% success rate... I blame the other 10% on poor pictures! haha)

I humble disagree with
Roo will keep the pecking order much more civil.

Later on, a rooster might work. But the OP is tight for space, and it sounds like just flock mates. I would expect the juvenile roosters to be the problem, and that problem intensified in a small space. I would expect them to run the pullets ragged.

I have never really found a rooster much good until he gets to be a year of age, then I rather like having one in the flock. But two, not unless I was over 25 birds. Never for 4.

Mrs K

I think that our chickens are starting the pecking order. When I usually play with my chickens they seem normal and look fine. But the past week or so there combs have been bleeding. Also after they free range they last one into the pen gets pecked at and stood up to from the others. Is there any way so they will stop pecking at one another to the point that they bleed?
Are they pecking when out and about or when they are in the coop?

This frequently happens, what was enough room for chicks, rapidly becomes not enough space when they grow. Almost always, not enough space turns into aggressive behavior. I am making a giant supposition that you got those birds as chicks, and they are about 10 weeks old? (I realize I could totally wrong) But my idea is that this is going to get worse instead of better, as they still have more growing to do.

Even with plenty of space to roam in during the day, winter is coming and with it long, long nights where things are tight in a coop often times for more than 14-16 hours a day. Lots of time for things to get desperate for a lower bird.

Some people try pin-less peepers, it might help you buy some time. If one or two of those birds are roosters, you really need to make some decisions. Roosters need more room. 2 roosters to 4 pullets is very problematic.

I wish I could give you some better, or more easily done options, but you either need more coop space or less birds.

Mrs K

E52BA1B7-AC42-43C1-8E8E-5B1AA8CDDCFA.jpeg
We have 6 birds 4 are definitely hens we don’t know about the other two. We have 15 gates that are about 3 and a half feet big that we move around. Above is their pen and coop.

Back
Top Bottom