Pecking Order

I've found it can be hard to tell who is the head hen.
Only a couple times over the past 7 years was it clear.

My top girl is a bully she pecks and chases the others. I wish she was nicer for sure! They are 1 yr now and she has been top dog since the beginning. I had one bloody fight but I guess she won against the other hen.

IDing the low hen is usually easier.
But sh!t rolls down hill, as they say,
and there are pecking order incidences all up and down the line.
It's not like there's one boss and all the others get along famously.
For sure I got the top and some of the bottom three but still have no clue on the middles

One of our smaller hens (they are all 9-10 weeks old) has consistently been the most adventurous of our eight pullets. She’s been the first to explore new areas of the brooder and now coop, to try new foods, to win in the “ food run”. She has also shown a clear protectiveness of the weakest of our chicken octet. We haven’t witnessed her pecking at others, but it seems they know she is the leader. We’ve witnessed her shielding a slow feathering hen with her wings, yet when she wants a space on one of the perches, for example, she makes sure she gets her spot by a firm and confident flight. Have any of you witnessed a ”benevolent queen” among your flock?
Yes. One we called Big Mamma.. Had one in this flock too, but believe she has been somewhat displaced by a Black Jersey Giant rooster.. last seasons additions. The Jersey hens seem uninterested in hierarchy. He is not aggressive, but watch your magic beans. I like it when there is a Big Mamma, so much more organized, peaceful, less anarchy.. as well as more respect for Ole' McDonald of fairytale fame.

Back
Top Bottom