Pecking Order

Bgerth89

In the Brooder
May 19, 2021
After 7 months now we feel we are confident in our newbie flock raising... I do have questions about pecking order and the behaviors associated.
Our 3 girls are 7 months now, Winnie is a buff brahma, Penny is a Black Asian and Snowy is the sweetest Leghorn you've ever met.
The Buff Brahma is very very broody and kicks the other chickens out of the laying basket she wants if it has eggs. If they don't want to move she will sit on them or stand in the coop and make very loud sounds until they leave. She also pecks the other chickens either in the comb or on the neck when they are given treats but not when eating regular food. Other than these 2 behaviors she doesn't bite them that I've seen. She does occasionally peck at us if she doesn't want to be touched or held. We don't pick her up much anymore(unless she doesn't get in the coop at night) because she has bit in the face twice. She's a very big bird and will reach for your face even if she's not right by your face. She's not aggressive but just bossy is how we put it.
Are these typical pecking order behaviors and should any of it be intervened?

Attachments

• 20211215_175330.jpg
    20211215_175330.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211215_152733.jpg
    20211215_152733.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211124_171407.jpg
    20211124_171407.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211025_145005.jpg
    20211025_145005.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 2
It’s a bit aggressive. If my chickens pecked me I pecked them back by giving them a rough tap with a finger on the chest and didn’t let them near my face. If the girl got pushy I’d gently but firmly push her away, off the bench or picnic table, whatever. Yours is also more than bossy to her mates. You can try removing her from the other two for a week and then reintroducing. That might shake up the order a bit. Some people use peepers with success although I haven’t tried them. @Sueby was it you that has used them? Care to chime in?

Are you sure she is a she and sounds like she is just aggressive and will probably will be at the top of order. You could take her away and reintroduce and to fix the broody mess take the eggs out. When she is in there. Cover with a towel cover so she doesnt attack and move her.

It’s a bit aggressive. If my chickens pecked me I pecked them back by giving them a rough tap with a finger on the chest and didn’t let them near my face. If the girl got pushy I’d gently but firmly push her away, off the bench or picnic table, whatever. Yours is also more than bossy to her mates. You can try removing her from the other two for a week and then reintroducing. That might shake up the order a bit. Some people use peepers with success although I haven’t tried them. @Sueby was it you that has used them? Care to chime in?
Someone suggested a yank to her feathers like a peck(not hurt her) and she makes the same cluck sound the others make when she pecks them. She seems to respond by backing off so I'm thinking that she is just very alpha bird as the other 2 don't appear to be afraid of her. If she pecks them they go away from her. I don't know, maybe I just feel bad seeing her doing it and hearing their reactions. My leghorn is smaller and more dainty compared to her and totally minds her own business and I just don't like seeing her peck her. I don't feel like she is aggressive as she doesn't Chase or attack anyone. As you can see in the photos, they coexist just fine together. Maybe I'm just sensitive to anyone "getting hurt"

Someone suggested a yank to her feathers like a peck(not hurt her) and she makes the same cluck sound the others make when she pecks them. She seems to respond by backing off so I'm thinking that she is just very alpha bird as the other 2 don't appear to be afraid of her. If she pecks them they go away from her. I don't know, maybe I just feel bad seeing her doing it and hearing their reactions. My leghorn is smaller and more dainty compared to her and totally minds her own business and I just don't like seeing her peck her. I don't feel like she is aggressive as she doesn't Chase or attack anyone. As you can see in the photos, they coexist just fine together. Maybe I'm just sensitive to anyone "getting hurt"
That’s a possibility and I certainly understand your feelings. It’s part of the chicken world and it’s hard to understand it because we aren’t chickens and think they should all play nice lol.

Just know there are options available if you change your mind and think you need them. Culling or passing your problem to someone else doesn’t have to be the answer. Enjoy your girls!

I'm not quite clear about the situation.

Is the problem hen currently broody? Actively broody hens are supposed to be vigorous about defending their nests and chicks. But if you're not letting her raise chicks her broodiness should be broken for her health.

If she's not actively broody that's a different matter.

I admit, I haven't read the complete thread, but yes, I used pinless peepers & they worked great as far as my bully not being able to pick on anyone badly. But...it didn't last too long, she wasn't able to use my nipple waterers & that's what I use here in the winter. In the end I ended up culling her for the peace of the flock. But not for lack of trying, she was just a witch. :idunno

I admit, I haven't read the complete thread, but yes, I used pinless peepers & they worked great as far as my bully not being able to pick on anyone badly. But...it didn't last too long, she wasn't able to use my nipple waterers & that's what I use here in the winter. In the end I ended up culling her for the peace of the flock. But not for lack of trying, she was just a witch. :idunno
Thanks for replying Sueby!

Back
Top Bottom