Pecking Order

HenHouse Henry

Songster
Dec 2, 2020
Everett Washington
I have four hens a little over a year old. They have formed a pecking order. My California Gray is the smallest of the four and at the top of the pecking order, next would be the Australorpe, and then the two Blue Copper Marans. I added three new chicks (Calico Princess, Cream Legbar, and a Welsummer) this spring, they are 12 weeks old and have been with the big girls for a couple of weeks now. They have a few small openings they can get through to escape. I have noticed the two top girls are less aggressive towards the newbies than the two Blue Copper Marans. All in all, they are integrating pretty well. I have two Lavender Orpingtons that are 6 weeks old and will start all over in a few weeks to add them to the mix.

Also, by adding chicks again, I think it will tend to go better. I think the worst flocks for integrating have never had new chickens added in their lives. Where as people who keep flocks, with chickens frequently adding chicks, or people adding chicks, and removal of birds tend to take to new birds a little more easily.

I think the people managing those flocks, have a system figured out that works for their birds and their set up.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom