pecking order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 12304, Jun 30, 2011.

1. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    how do you tell which chicken is on top of the pecking order and who is at the bottom

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sometimes you can't, if the pecking order is working just fine. Some folks say you can tell by who comes out of the coop first in the morning, but I haven't found that to be the case. Mine just tumble out every which way.

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Our dominent girl wonders off alone, the others can't stand to be 6 inches from each other. And if they see her walk off they fly to catch her. Shes our loudest & most interactive girl too!!!

4. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    throw some BOSS and see who gets pecked - she'll be the lowest one.

5. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Bernadette, one of my NH Reds, is the top hen. When they were chicks, she would sleep alone, while the others would sleep all piled on top of each other. And she is almost always the first one out of the coop in the morning when I open the door. Sometimes my #2 will come out first, Delia, a Speckled Sussex, but the two girls sometimes walk together, I think they are sharing the top spot. But Bernadette gets the most coveted spot on the top rung out of three on the roost we built, and her spot is right next to the window. I love looking out and seeing her peeking out the window![​IMG] But luckily, my girls don't peck at each other...at least not right now! [​IMG]

6. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    we do have one chicken that wanders off but the others dont follow

i thought the top chicken was this big chicken that always is watching the sky and it almost seemes like she is trying to keep them together
    one time these voltures were flying low and when it would come near that chicken would make a weird noise and all the chickens would go in the coop do you think that chicken is the leader

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by