pecking order

pickled eggs

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
Idaho
A couple weeks ago I got a rooster and a hen, both barred rocks. I let them run the yard during the day with my 5 RIR's. At night the Reds go roost in the coop I built them and the BR's go to the makeshift box I made for them when they first arrived. They are not mixing togather very well. The newer birds keep their distance, and the rooster is a real wimp. He had a stand off with the domanate female and lost, even though they are about the same size. He crows in the mornings so Im thinking he is of age. How can I make him be the boss of the flock?

How old are your new chickens, and how old are the existing ones? I had the same problem when I tried to introduce a 5 month old pullet to my 3 month old pullet and cockerel. I kept them apart for a month to be on the safe side--the hen would chase my cockerel into the corner even though he was twice her size! it was kinda funny, but pathetic. Just in the last few days I put them together (now he is 4 months old) and all are doing well, though he was still afraid of her at first (would whine if she gave him the evil eye!). I just noticed today that he was giving her the "fluff-neck" and beginning to act more dominant. I think it just takes time for him to mature (even though he is crowing) and feel comfortable. As long as they are not drawing blood and can get away from each other they should be fine.

They are about one month apart, the reds being six months old now. Pathetic describes it well. There is lots of room for them to wonder about. So he can run when one of the reds come around. It is starting to get cold up here, and he will have to live in there with the RIR in the winter. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom