Pecking Pekins

Attachments

• 64B4B9F6-FAB1-4673-8EAA-FF8E4738437A.jpeg
    64B4B9F6-FAB1-4673-8EAA-FF8E4738437A.jpeg
    623.2 KB · Views: 1
@ruthhope @New duck mommy 2021

Here’s what I have set up. So far so good!

That works perfectly
Right now while my pekin girl is sitting on eggs I have the room divided with a higher type dog one do her drake won’t try to mate her when she comes out for water ect
He won’t stay with the other ducks he has to be where he can see daisy st all times

Attachments

• 72AD9D7E-DF9F-41A4-8DB3-E42B4A3BA3A0.jpeg
    72AD9D7E-DF9F-41A4-8DB3-E42B4A3BA3A0.jpeg
    826.4 KB · Views: 1
That works perfectly
Right now while my pekin girl is sitting on eggs I have the room divided with a higher type dog one do her drake won’t try to mate her when she comes out for water ect
He won’t stay with the other ducks he has to be where he can see daisy st all times
I like the dog crate idea! That seems so much easier to maneuver come cleanup time.

I like the dog crate idea! That seems so much easier to maneuver come cleanup time.
Yes it really is
But I do like the one you have for starting out
I can start small and add to it as they get bigger. I have both the solid and open ones and when they are small the solid are perfect for not getting a head stick in

I know 😭 I have to wrangle them one by one at bedtime and they freak out if the other is out of sight.
Give it a bit of time, things may sort themselves out- it would be ideal if you could get more females though, at least one more, and see how you go- I'd reccomend looking for adults locally that need new homes, they often pop up on Facebook, Craigslist, etc. If you go down that route, I reccomend quarrantining new birds for a few weeks before introducing

Also that set up looks perfect!

Give it a bit of time, things may sort themselves out- it would be ideal if you could get more females though, at least one more, and see how you go- I'd reccomend looking for adults locally that need new homes, they often pop up on Facebook, Craigslist, etc. If you go down that route, I reccomend quarrantining new birds for a few weeks before introducing

Also that set up looks perfect!
Thank you! I’m definitely going to be calling around locally.

@Buttercup725, @New duck mommy 2021
both your pens set ups are neat and well big enough. Mine is more mickey mouse as we are on a 3 or 4 month stay away from home, and my drakes are billeted in a garden shed. I have two temporary dog pens on a tarp marking the outside of the ducks' sleeping area. I also have my crested pekin drake sleeping in a dogcrate -- he always sleeps in a dogcrate as he is vulnerable to aggression from the muscovy drakes over night. One muscovy roosts above the pekin on top of his dogcrate: the two are tightly bonded and the muscovy hangs down to make sure his friend is OK below. I have had some aggression from the all white muscovy and so have had to put a fold in the dog pens to divide off a separate sleeping area for the black and white muscovy who was victim of the aggression. Initially, I had a weighted down trash can and an old rake handle marking off the entrance to the back area. But I later got a couple of off cuts from a closet fitted wire shelves and made a more effective 'door' between the two compartments.

All 4 drakes have 4 square feet of personal space. The white muscovy and the drake atop the dogcrate share water tub and food bowl and sometimes both sleep atop the dogcrate [for warmth I suspect]. Both the pekin in the dogcrate and the black and white muscovy in the partitioned off section at the back are happy with their sleeping arrangements and both come in to sleep at night as soon as I go into the shed to get things ready for them. Both know exactly where they sleep and go into their crate or compartment on their own. I shoo the other two in when I am ready for them and let them chose where to go.
I am not seeing much bickering during the day when they are out in a large back garden and have places they could go and hide. All four hang out together all day.

I suspect if your ducks are separate but close by each other at night, they will settle down and not need separating [or taking back to the farm!] during the day.

Attachments

• 20230216_162717.jpg
    20230216_162717.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230216_180210.jpg
    20230216_180210.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom