Pecking problems!

whittychick

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Cape cod
My poor barred rock Lucy has a bare bum from other chickens pecking her
1f61e.png
why is this happening? I don't see any sign of mites or anything and they are getting plenty of treats, protein and oyster shells! Please someone give advice for me!! How can I stop this or at least help her heal ASAP! Thanks

If she is the only one being picked on, I would worry that something is different about her, or "wrong" with her that the other chickens notice and so that is why she is being picked on.

For a short term fix, I would put her in a dog crate in the coop if possible. If it is too cold to keep a little cup of water liquid, then you will have to put her someplace else.

She will have to remain isolated until she is at least close to completely healed.

Your hope is that some one time event started the picking and that once she is healed no one will bother her anymore.

Get an ointment at a farm and feed supply store called "Black Salve", it's actually purple, smear it all over the pecked part, the other hens will stop pecking after a few tentative pecks, it smells horribleand pretty sure it tastes that way too!

Back
Top Bottom