Pecking & Saddles getting wet?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by norcal, Oct 13, 2009.

1. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    I have 4 chickens that are going to need saddles.

I'm concerned as it just started raining about the saddles getting wet and making them colder. ?? Are there pros & cons to saddles & material used? Do I need to find some gortex...... [​IMG]

I want to separarte one that I think is the main culprit, but hubby is insistent that one of the others would just start pecking (and I'm not sure that the others aren't already). I also don't have a place for her, unless I cull my pain-in-the-arse roo.

Any ideas or info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

2. norcal

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Somebody? Anybody?

Saddles getting wet, worse than having the ON, or NOT?

3. norcal

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Bump [​IMG]

4. WildfireJane

WildfireJane Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I think you have a good question. I'm not an expert by any means but... there are natural oils on the feathers. Since the saddle sits on top and may get wet, I would think the feathers under it would repel the water before it got to the skin. My chickens won't stand outside in the rain if they can help it. They run for cover, even if it's under a bush. Jane

5. norcal

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Thanks for the input.
    I was thinking of buying a water repellent for the material.
    But, was concerned that it would smell (as the sprays usually do), and the chickens wouldn't like that, let alone a possible allergy to the spray.

??

6. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I think nylon on top and flannel on the underside would make a nice "raincoat" for a chicken. Seems to work well for dogs and people.
    I wouldn't trust the spray on waterproofing. Birds are sensitive to aerosols, chemicals, etc...I wouldn't risk it with my birds.
    If the saddle gets wet, I think you should change it to a dry one. Maybe have a few extras you can wash/dry while the other ones are on the chickens? I can't see that having a cold damp saddle over a bare patch of skin would be very comfortable or healthy.
    Hope this helps.
    Zoomom:D

7. Bwaaak!

Bwaaak! Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    I made a couple chicken saddles out of husband's old jeans for my silkie and old barred rock. I am worried about the saddles getting wet too, so I lightly rubbed candle wax sort of like a repellent.

8. norcal

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    bwaakk that's a great idea!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    If you look at the hardware store or probably walmart they make a scotchguard waterproofer that would work great. Try to find the one for camping supplies. [​IMG]

10. norcal

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:I did mention that, but was a bit afraid of the smell & allergies. ?? To me that stuff seems toxic, but then again, I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by