Pecking & Saddles getting wet?

norcal

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Northern California
I have 4 chickens that are going to need saddles.

I'm concerned as it just started raining about the saddles getting wet and making them colder. ?? Are there pros & cons to saddles & material used? Do I need to find some gortex......
roll.png

I want to separarte one that I think is the main culprit, but hubby is insistent that one of the others would just start pecking (and I'm not sure that the others aren't already). I also don't have a place for her, unless I cull my pain-in-the-arse roo.

Any ideas or info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I think you have a good question. I'm not an expert by any means but... there are natural oils on the feathers. Since the saddle sits on top and may get wet, I would think the feathers under it would repel the water before it got to the skin. My chickens won't stand outside in the rain if they can help it. They run for cover, even if it's under a bush. Jane

Thanks for the input.
I was thinking of buying a water repellent for the material.
But, was concerned that it would smell (as the sprays usually do), and the chickens wouldn't like that, let alone a possible allergy to the spray.

??

I think nylon on top and flannel on the underside would make a nice "raincoat" for a chicken. Seems to work well for dogs and people.
I wouldn't trust the spray on waterproofing. Birds are sensitive to aerosols, chemicals, etc...I wouldn't risk it with my birds.
If the saddle gets wet, I think you should change it to a dry one. Maybe have a few extras you can wash/dry while the other ones are on the chickens? I can't see that having a cold damp saddle over a bare patch of skin would be very comfortable or healthy.
Hope this helps.
Zoomom:D

I made a couple chicken saddles out of husband's old jeans for my silkie and old barred rock. I am worried about the saddles getting wet too, so I lightly rubbed candle wax sort of like a repellent.

Quote:
I did mention that, but was a bit afraid of the smell & allergies. ?? To me that stuff seems toxic, but then again, I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom