Pecking vs. molting

We had a quiet day at work one day and in response to another thread and chatter about premade/kit coops, I picked what I believed was a well known manufacturer and did some calcs……..

Their 'Tavern’ is advertised as housing 3-5 chickens but if you go into the expanded details it mentions 4-6 large chickens.

Their 'Saloon' is advertised as housing 2-4 chickens.

So, for good measure, lets say the 'Saloon' houses 3 chickens and the 'Tavern' 4 chickens.

Using the measurements provided on site:
The 'Saloon' measures: 76″ long, 35″wide, 39″tall
The Tavern measures: 98″long, 41″ wide, 61″tall

So, by that reckoning 1 large chicken only needs 22 inches long and 6 inches wide?
roll.png

Their 'Ranch' is advertised as housing 10-15 chickens.

The ‘Ranch’ measures: 143” long, 68″ wide, 67″ tall.

That is pretty close to double the size of the Saloon which houses 2-4 chickens but the Ranch is advertised as housing 10-15 chickens?? I am not going to work out how many inches that gives each additional chicken on the Saloon v Ranch but suffice to say it ain't gunna be much
roll.png

Keeping it simple and focusing on the Ranch, lets be generous and for ease of math, say 10 chickens that means each chicken would have an area 14 inches long by 6.8 inches wide.

Just saying
wink.png

Last edited:
We had a quiet day at work one day and in response to another thread and chatter about premade/kit coops, I picked what I believed was a well know manufacturer and did some calcs……..

Their 'Tavern’ is advertised as housing 3-5 chickens but if you go into the expanded details it mentions 4-6 large chickens.

Their 'Saloon' is advertised as housing 2-4 chickens.

So, for good measure, lets say the 'Saloon' houses 3 chickens and the 'Tavern' 4 chickens.

Using the measurements provided on site:
The 'Saloon' measures: 76″ long, 35″wide, 39″tall
The Tavern measures: 98″long, 41″ wide, 61″tall

So, by that reckoning 1 large chicken only needs 22 inches long and 6 inches wide?
roll.png

Their 'Ranch' is advertised as housing 10-15 chickens.

The ‘Ranch’ measures: 143” long, 68″ wide, 67″ tall.

That is pretty close to double the size of the Saloon which houses 2-4 chickens but the Ranch is advertised as housing 10-15 chickens?? I am not going to work out how many inches that gives each additional chicken on the Saloon v Ranch but suffice to say it ain't gunna be much
roll.png

Keeping it simple and focusing on the Ranch, lets be generous and for ease of math, say 10 chickens that means each chicken would have an area 14 inches long by 6.8 inches wide.

Just saying
wink.png
And ya gotta really look hard at those dimensions/illustrations.

They are often overall dimensions of the coop/run combos
(and can include external nesting boxes too),
not the coop itself.

And ya gotta really look hard at those dimensions/illustrations.

They are often overall dimensions of the coop/run combos
(and can include external nesting boxes too),
not the coop itself.

Hey aart, yeah they were the overall dimensions including the nest box and 'run' .. I am thinking not much running happening, more like shuffling
roll.png

Coop = a cage or pen in which poultry are kept.

Cooped = confine in a small space.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom