1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ivurhu, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ivurhu

ivurhu New Egg

Jun 13, 2008
    I have a small flock with 3 hens and 1 roo. They are all 11 months old, gotten at the same time. The 2 auracana hens have 1-1/2 inch areas at the base of their tails with little scabs and broken feathers. The australorp hen is fine--no pecking injuries. The roo is a barred rock. I have not observed whether it is the australorp or the roo doing the pecking. It all seemed to start when the auracanas started to moult, several weeks ago. Does this get better or do I need to separate them?[​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Rooster to hen ratio is 10-12 hens per rooster that may be why but sometimes they get hard molts and ingrown feathers and once picked open the others will kep picking . Try blucoat on the wounds it should deter them from pecking the wound site.

3. mackenziesmomma

mackenziesmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    I was coming on to post almost the same thing. I have 4 hens to my 1 Rooster. All the girls have a small part on their back where they have been pecked.

I will look for the blue stuff tomorrow.

Will putting more hens with the Rooster make him stop pecking?

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I would recommend doing a search on BYC for "chicken saddles" . Some members have used these to protect their girls' backs from overly amorous roos.

5. ivurhu

ivurhu New Egg

Jun 13, 2008
    Thanks. I will look for blue coat at the ranch store today. Will also look into chicken saddles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by