Pecking

AshlyPashlee

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2018
Liberty Hill TX
Hey all,

First off, still happy to be apart of this group!! Being a new hen mom, I need all the info I can get.

Second... We've got chicks about 7 weeks old. Will be putting them in a coop outside soon. Anywho, we have one little hen that likes to approach in order to peck. It's not hard pecking yet, but I want to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Do you have any tips on what helps to get her to stop doing that? My kids are scared to grab any of the Barred Rocks because they don't want it to be her... ok WE are lol She's literally the only one doing it. I know they all have their own little personalities, just wondering if there was any way we could encourage some positive reinforcement.

Thank you in advance!

I used to have that problem with one of my red sex link girls. Once I began picking her up and holding her until she calmed down, she stopped doing it. She not only stopped pecking at me, she became my best buddy & lap girl.

I agree, could well be a male doing the pecking, post pics as we can probably tell, 7 weeks is the perfect age for most breeds to ID gender.

Anywho, we have one little hen that likes to approach in order to peck. It's not hard pecking yet, but I want to make sure it doesn't get any worse.
Is it pecking you or the other chicks?
If pecking you, 'peck' it back using your fingertip or two fingers and thumb.

This is about older birds than yours, but theory still applies:
Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Hey All,

thank you!! I'll def take the pecking back into the mix. I hadn't thought about that (but that's why I'm here!). She is pecking US and pecking the smaller chicks... but I've noticed all of the birds peck at the small small ones. Even though I was told they wouldn't. But it is what it is! We got them when they were two weeks old and that was like 4 weeks ago. Should be 7 weeks by Wednesday I believe. And the place we got them from say they only sell Hens, so she's def a she lol we have not been hand feeding... should we be doing that?

Attachments

• IMG_3391.jpg
    IMG_3391.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 6
If you could get a full side shot including legs that would help. BUT it's looking like a cockerel so far. That would explain the attitude.

Are these any better? I couldn't get one of the feet. The one my daughter is holding is a different one but I posted this for the size part.

Attachments

• IMG_3388.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3389.jpg
    IMG_3389.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3392.JPG
    IMG_3392.JPG
    680.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom