Pecking

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beatriceanrufus, Nov 27, 2013.

1. beatriceanrufus

beatriceanrufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Hey guys! I, just yesterday, traded my 5 month old normal sized barred rock rooster, for a 7 month old RIR bantam. So now I have one 7 month old RIR bantam named Charlotte, and a 5 month old normal sized EE named Beatrice. Charlotte is less than half the size of Beatrice, and Beatrice wont stop pecking Charlotte and chasing her around, Charlotte does anything to get away from her, even when i go to check on them Charlotte will come and just right on to my arm for protection. Is there anything I can do to keep Beatrice from being a bully? They do sleep cuddled together on the roost but other than that Beatrice, during the day, will push her off the roost of peck her neck or just chase the poor thing around? I think it might be that Beatrice is upset from losing Rufus, considering they were together since they were 3 days old. Is there anything I can do? Please let me know?

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    when you added the bantam did you keep them separate for a few weeks before putting them together or did you just put them together right off the bat?

3. beatriceanrufus

beatriceanrufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    I just put them together right off the bat... was that a bad thing?

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

I think so. I am new to this, but there is usually a customary introductory period (while physically separated) to let everyone get accustomed to each other. You might want to do a search for the appropriate steps involved in a proper introduction.

5. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    whenever you bring in new chickens you should quarantine them to make sure they are not sick birds, keeping them at least 30 ft from your current flock for at least 2 weeks. since they have already come into contact with each other I would section off part of your coop for each bird so they can still see one another but not be able to peck at each other. this way they can get used to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by