Peep’s first eggs

Yeap - the first few weeks of eggs are for eating until they find their, erm, groove as it were.

We took eggs early this year and think thats contributed to our problems. Last years first batch of bufflings were much weaker than the second.

Quiche, eggs on toast, omelette - so many choices ! Also great for baking !

Good info everyone thanks.

I will check the eggs and collect them today. There was a third this morning when I went and let them out of the coop

I wouldn't jump the gun on putting the eggs in the incubator so soon. I've read that first eggs can be unfertile.

I would gather the egg each day and eat it or save some up and make a nice quiche. Then, after you see her mating with the drake wait a couple more weeks and then try incubating.
While I agree that first eggs are likely infertile, I take a different stance on incubating them. After only six days eggs can be candled. If a person wants ducklings, they're not out much by trying to incubate the first eggs. I do this frequently and am often surprised when they are fertile.

She is a Pekin and is about 4.5 months old right now
My Drake had seemed completely disinterested in her even though she had been ready for a while now

A little worried. Never had a duck with eggs before. She hasn’t been sitting on them that I can tell, just made a little nest area. Not sure what’s normal for her to do or what I should look out for

She is very proud of them. I let my dogs out and when she saw me she was going spastic til I came over and found them. Then she just rubbed up against my leg like a cat would and strutted around all proud of herself heh

Is there some kind of trick you have for making your ducks like you?

It seems very cool.

And coming up to you like a dog or cat would. Wow. That's amazing!

Does your peking girl do this thing with her head bobbing up and down while honking? That's what one of mine does, like 'duck rapping'. And its really funny to see. When you said spastic it made me wonder if that's what you were describing.

It seems like a happy behavior and is interesting.

Is there some kind of trick you have for making your ducks like you?

It seems very cool.

And coming up to you like a dog or cat would. Wow. That's amazing!

Does your peking girl do this thing with her head bobbing up and down while honking? That's what one of mine does, like 'duck rapping'. And its really funny to see. When you said spastic it made me wonder if that's what you were describing.

It seems like a happy behavior and is interesting.

Heh I held them a lot as ducklings and let them crawl all over me. I had a hoodie I wore. They liked when I put the hood up and they would crawl behind my head. Nibbler liked to hide his head. Peep liked to have her head out to see what was going on. So I would have a duck backside on one side of my head and a duckling head on the other so it looked like one super long duckling heh

Being in contact with them a lot and giving them treats. I hand fed them a lot to help them be used to me and played with them a lot.

Peep is also very possessive of me. And will honk angrily if one of the dogs or my wife tries to take my attention from her heh

My Rouens are a little different. Still attached but are more skittish and don’t like the physical affection as much but will eat out of my hands and will freak out if I walk too far away.

Her freaking out was her running back and forth across the pen, honking as loud as possible til I came over heh

She does the duck rap thing though too and it’s funny.

She will wait for me to come up and then tilt her head sideways giving me a suspicious look til I give her some treats. If I am treatless then my feet and shins get bit 😂

Heh I held them a lot as ducklings and let them crawl all over me. I had a hoodie I wore. They liked when I put the hood up and they would crawl behind my head. Nibbler liked to hide his head. Peep liked to have her head out to see what was going on. So I would have a duck backside on one side of my head and a duckling head on the other so it looked like one super long duckling heh

Being in contact with them a lot and giving them treats. I hand fed them a lot to help them be used to me and played with them a lot.

Peep is also very possessive of me. And will honk angrily if one of the dogs or my wife tries to take my attention from her heh

My Rouens are a little different. Still attached but are more skittish and don’t like the physical affection as much but will eat out of my hands and will freak out if I walk too far away.

Her freaking out was her running back and forth across the pen, honking as loud as possible til I came over heh

She does the duck rap thing though too and it’s funny.

She will wait for me to come up and then tilt her head sideways giving me a suspicious look til I give her some treats. If I am treatless then my feet and shins get bit 😂

HAHAHA

They are so funny.

Back
Top Bottom