Peep when hatching?

kburen

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Do you always hear peeps when they hatch? I came in today to 1 pip. I just knew the little booger would hatch while we were outside all morning for field day! The parents who were here were looking at it this morning...and some came back up with us this afternoon and looked in again. I THOUGHT it looked bigger (more pipped) but didnt want to say it because I thought it was just wishfull thinking....another parent said it though. They said it's defintly getting bigger! But I haven't heard or seen anything. Does this go back to the "a watched pot never boiles" saying? With the other teachers I watched and listened to it for a while yesterday before going home....i could see it's little beak pecking and hear it peeping it's little heart out! But like I said....I haven't seen or heard a single thing from mine! Is that normal? And for those who haven't followed....today is day 22

Last edited:
None of mine made a sound until they were OUT all the way..... and I listened! Ear pressed to the vent to hear something, anything before they began hatching
wink.png
Some of them really like to take their sweet time from pip to hatch too
tongue.png

Glad to know that some don't peep yet! I was begining to worry that it died before it hatched!
sad.png
However....Not 5 minutes after I left the post, one of my parents said she saw movement....a little piece of the shell popped out and back in. I saw the same thing twice more after that....and nothing since
sad.png
I hope to come back to school in the morning to a baby....at some more pips at least!

Edit to add: OMG! I heard it!!!
big_smile.png
I feel like such a mamma (and I'm only mamma to animals)!!!!!!!! I was sitting here at my desk reading (of course, on BYC) and I thought I heard a peep....then thought "no...i'm just crazy...it's that wishfull thinking thing again...." but got up and walked to the incubator reaaaaaal quiet and I hear a quiet little peep again! YAAAYYY!
big_smile.png
No movement...but I love that sound!

Last edited:
I came back this morning to my chickie dead in his/her shell
hit.gif
I know your not supposed to..but I opened the incubator to take it out....I didn't want my kids to see it....it's one thing for them to know that it happened....and I'm not going to lie to them....but I didn't want them to SEE it. It wasn't gross or anything....but just something that I don't want. Some of the parents wouldn't either, I know from talking to them. I don't have hope for any of my other eggs anymore.

The other teacher has 3 chicks that hatched fine....1 took almost 2 days to hatch and still has some of the yolk sac attached. She had to open the 'bator and take the 3 out because they were pecking at the little one and making it bleed. She has no other pips....and all about 30 eggs that she had were alive and well last week.....they candled them and watched them move and kick....EVERY egg. So here we are....day 23.....with 4 chicks.....out of 60 eggs
sad.png

I'm very sad....

I'm sorry
hugs.gif
if it any consolation my hatch rates have been really crap too, and all of them get to about day 18 at least which is so fustrating cos you think they're gonna make it my last hatch was 0 % this one is not too bad 5/12 so far am on day 22

It's depressing....like I said, we knew that at the very least, we had a total of over 25 chicks that were alive and moving on day 15 or so....And only 4 have hatched and lived.....only 5 have tried to hatch. I'm leaving mine in until Monday....then I'll throw em out if nothing.

I want to get my own incubator and try at home to see what I'm doing wrong, or if it's the incubator, or what. I would love to try again next year with my kids....however, I'm one of those people who tend to be afraid to try things again when I fail so miserably the first time. I'm going to be gone most of the summer between working out of state for 3 weeks and a cruise. I'll be home late july, is that too late to get eggs and try to hatch if I get an incubator on my own?

Back
Top Bottom