Peeping but not pipped?

Suzierd

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Oregon
My chicks have been having a hard time getting out of the shell, I have one that's peeping inside the egg, how long should I wait before I make a hole for it? It's been peeping since this morning and no pip!
I've been having bad luck with them getting out of the shell.

Deep breath. The peeping means that the chick has broken into the air cell and is getting into position for the external pip. This stage of hatching can take anywhere from 12 hours to over 48 hours. Just keep that humidity up, and be patient.

They are under the hen not in a incubater, I am worried my eggs shells are too hard the last one died trying to get out I wish I would have helped. This one hasn't even pipped yet how long can they breath without pipping?

Like I said earlier, they can stay in there for about 48 hours before pipping. This is probably the hardest stage of hatching. You hear them in there, but you have to leave things alone. No touching or helping. If you try to help, you can end up killing the chick. Most of the time, hard shells are not an issue. Healthy chicks should still be able to hatch.

If mama hen is hatching do not worry!!
I had a hen who helped a weak chick out of egg.
D.gif

Last edited:
They tried to help the last one but didn't get it out. Ok I will wait till morning and not touch. Not going to sleep well.
1f64f.png

It couldn't get out of the shell and was dead this morning. I made the wrong decision I should have helped it. My egg shells are too hard.

Helping before a pip usually kills a chick. It is not easy to crack the shell and leave that membrane intact. Sometimes, chicks just don't hatch. It's just the way it is. It doesn't mean that the shells are too hard. It could have been a lot of things. Maybe the broody didn't turn them consistently enough. Maybe she was off the nest for just a little too long once or twice. Maybe she was too rough turning them. Even under broodies, humidity related hatching issues can happen, like shrink-wrapped or downed chicks.

Back
Top Bottom