Peeping but not pipped?

The chick was perfect inside just couldn't get out. I have a few eggs from a friends chickens with it and one of them hatched last night so there's a blessing in this sad morning. Thank you all.
I have had several eggs that got as far as the internal pip. They were cheeping for 48 hours and then stopped. I know that they were moving because I candled the eggs. Those particular eggs had extremely hard.

The last one I lost was just last night. I wish that I had helped with at least creating the external pip since I know it was internally pipped at least 48 hours. There is no sound this morning - I have a camera that can see into the nest box.

The bottom line to all this is that a healthy chick in a well incubated egg will hatch. I've hatched hundreds of chicks in incubators and under broody hens and at times I've felt compelled to try and help. Trouble is, it is a very tricky business helping a chick out and very few I have helped have turned out healthy or fared well afterwards. Lots of things can go wrong and it's often best just to let nature have its way. Try not to let it get to you, as difficult as it seems.

All the best.

THF

Last edited:
I have had several eggs that got as far as the internal pip. They were cheeping for 48 hours and then stopped. I know that they were moving because I candled the eggs. Those particular eggs had extremely hard.

The last one I lost was just last night. I wish that I had helped with at least creating the external pip since I know it was internally pipped at least 48 hours. There is no sound this morning - I have a camera that can see into the nest box. 

I understand I truly regret not helping that chick still. I got some great advice from a friend part of it was if they haven't piped but have been peeping for 16 hours then help them. You can make a hole so they can breath then just flake the shell layer off around the egg the same they would do inside while doing this keep them from shrink wrapping by keeping them moist and warm. They still have the inside layer intact. Then see if they can do it. I think some of these special breeds with their odd/different conformation can make it a bit harder for them. I have helped several and they were never sickly. I know it's a very hard call.

Unfortunately, I have lost 3 chicks since I posted. None of them pipped, but were chirping. I poked a tiny hole in the shell for the second one, so that it could breath. It was chirping and pecking when I went toit died during the night .The last egg was under the hen. I think it got cold when she left her nest to follow her single hatched chick out of the nest. That little pullet died when she followed her mom out of the nest box (which I had barricaded so that she couldn't get out). I think it was too ccold. I found her in the run, with no markings on her. The flock never touched her.

I am realizing that death is just a part of having chickens and hatching them.

Unfortunately, I have lost 3 chicks since I posted. None of them pipped, but were chirping. I poked a tiny hole in the shell for the second one, so that it could breath. It was chirping and pecking when I went toit died during the night .The last egg was under the hen. I think it got cold when she left her nest to follow her single hatched chick out of the nest. That little pullet died when she followed her mom out of the nest box (which I had barricaded so that she couldn't get out). I think it was too ccold. I found her in the run, with no markings on her. The flock never touched her.

I am realizing that death is just a part of having chickens and hatching them.

Very sorry to hear, sounds like the hen didn't take care of the chick. Hope it goes better for you next time.

Back
Top Bottom