Peeping problems.

QueenDuck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
My ducklings are 3 weeks old tomorrow and I want to get them out side by 4 weeks. The lady I got them off said that irk would be fine to let them waddle around our garden and then lock them up in a dog kennel at night. I am trying to get them used to being outside by letting them walk around during the day and them bring them in at night. The only problem is that when I'm not out there, they always peep. Really loudly too. I have a full window door and they always stand on the step and peep. We like to get them out whenever we Can (no bad weather and not windy.) Also when ever I leave the doors open, they jump in and waddle through my house to the kitchen or wherever I am. They just stand at my feet and twist their heads round. They look so cute and innocent I just pick them up and put them down out side again. Is there anyway that I can stop all of this noise?

My ducklings are 3 weeks old tomorrow and I want to get them out side by 4 weeks. The lady I got them off said that irk would be fine to let them waddle around our garden and then lock them up in a dog kennel at night. I am trying to get them used to being outside by letting them walk around during the day and them bring them in at night. The only problem is that when I'm not out there, they always peep. Really loudly too. I have a full window door and they always stand on the step and peep. We like to get them out whenever we Can (no bad weather and not windy.) Also when ever I leave the doors open, they jump in and waddle through my house to the kitchen or wherever I am. They just stand at my feet and twist their heads round. They look so cute and innocent I just pick them up and put them down out side again. Is there anyway that I can stop all of this noise?
When you put them outside do you ever stay out there with them? I am looking at my 4 week old duckling and thinking if he was outside with his sibs and no one was around he would probably be terrified too. Can you imagine how big and scary it must look to them plus they are kinda young to be outside with out someone to protect them from preds. even a cat. They are imprinted on you as mama duck.

The only way to stop the noise is to go outside with them. They've imprinted with you and look to you for protection. They are getting scared when you leave them. Either go outside with them or ignore it ,sorry those are basically the only options.

Baby chicks of any type need some kind of adult supervision. Leaving them outside on their own with out even an adult bird to look out for them in my opinion is a recipe for disaster. Your chicks know this, hence the noise and their fear.

Chicks + Nature - Supervision = Lunch

Riki

Last edited:
Mine do the exact same thing. Both ducks sit at my sliding glass door to my dining room just waiting for the door to open. They have gotten a little quieter now that they are getting used to it. But if I'm outside and NOT with them on the back deck, they are loudly screaming for me. And they don't want me to pick them up or anything. They just want me to spend all my time sitting there watching them be ducks.

Back
Top Bottom