1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peeps!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by traceyleezle, May 7, 2011.

1. traceyleezle

traceyleezle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Yes, we are new to chickens, we bought 6 bantams from TSC yesterday.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    6 bantams

(3) What breeds do you have?
    We definitely have at least one white or blue silkie, two red silkies, and not entirely sure, but possibly 3 Golden Sebrights

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    You can't type the word "chicken" into a search engine without you folks showing up somewhere!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I am a mother of three, so child wrangling is a hobby, I am also an avid knitter and spinner. I run away from my family once a week to my paradise (Stitch 'n Bi*#%)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I am a ridiculously happily married PA transplant. I grew up in upstate NY in dairy country. I moved to an even smaller town in the heart of Amish country in South Central PA to marry my second hubby five years ago. I have a teenage daughter, an almost three year old, and a soon to be one year old...pray for us. LOL Life is never dull around our house and I like it that way. My house is rarely perfectly clean and orderly and I kind of like it that way. A home should be clean, but lived in. If you can't tell we have children when you walk in the door, we are doing something wrong.

We have a cat named Evanrude and right now he's been banished from the basement every since those fuzzy peeping things showed up. Rudey's a wee bit jealous and sulked all night on his blanket which is funny because he is very tolerant of the two little kids, but certainly doesn't welcome their attention. We also have a couple of small aquariums.

I am blessed enough to be a SAHM and there isn't a day that goes by that I am not thankful to be home with my babies.

Finnigan, the two year old is madly in love. I think the second I put that noisy cardboard box into his lap in the shopping cart yesterday you could hear his heart melting. He sat perfectly still and said, "Mama, we got chickens!" From there we went to pick up his sister at school and it was her birthday. When I pulled up, I told her I ran through the KFC drive thru and got her a snack. I had put the chicks into a KFC bucket and handed it to her. She wasn't even paying attention and didn't hear the noise. She reached her hand in and then squeeled. It was hilarious. She chose the white/blue silkie for hers and named it Drumstick...nice. The boys will each get to keep one as their birthday presents too and the other three will be re-homed with a neighbor. We figure this way we can make sure we have girls before we give away the other three. Now we just need Drumstick not to be a boy as it's the only named Peep so far. I think Finnigan is going to name his bantam Peep.

This is the conversation in our house yesterday, you'll have to picture a little blond boy bobbing up and down, "Daddy! We got peeps, you wanna see the peeps daddy? Wait for me Daddy! Peeeeeeps! Lookit the peeps daddy, they are so soft daddy, peeps get out of your water, I love you peeps, oh silly peeps is in their food, yookit the peeps daddy, mama you see the peeps? Mama yuvs the peeps too daddy. Peeps is nice, they so soft. I like the peeps. Hello peeps. Oooh, peeps is so silly. I touch a peep mama! Sissy has a peeps too. Her peeps is soft too." and so on and so forth.

The moment I opened the door to the boys' room this morning I was met with, "Mama, we go see the peeps? Hooray!"

I think we may have been bitten by the chicken bug at our house...

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  2. mommas_got_peeps

mommas_got_peeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Hocking county Ohio
    OMG...a kindred spirit...your house sounds like mine!! [​IMG]

My 3 y.o was beyond elated when we picked up 3 more girls last night in the final days of "chick days" at TSC... She held them all the way home, talked to them "silly peeps...what are you doin' in there?...your so cute" Mommy can I hold one now? (as we are driving in the truck) LOl

Welcome...I too am new to the poultry world. Love them! I've been following BYC for over a year now and have done my homework through and through before investing... so we now have 12 [​IMG]

Enjoy these days!!

3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. traceyleezle

traceyleezle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    Quote:I've wanted chickens for several years now. Last summer I was pregnant and we just decided it wasn't going to work juggling that many new babies. This year we just couldn't get the money together to build a good coop...until this week. At my mother in laws birthday party my sis in law sold us her nice big dog kennel for $50 and I mentioned that all we needed now was to save up for building supplies for the coop. Dad in law said, "Come with me." and took us out to the garage. He gave us a whole mess of unused 2x4's and some tin siding to use for the roof. So, chicken coop here we come! And being the careful, discerning, well thought out planner I am, I went out and bought some peeps the very next day. Although our bantams are birthday presents for the kids. I do plan on getting 5 birds for laying. I really want a nice colorful basket of eggs so my plan is: to Buff Orps, 2 Easter Eggers, and 1 Cuckoo Maran. I'd love to get them all locally, but it's just not going to happen, so mypetchicken.com it is.

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG] form South Africa!

7. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Congrats on your chicks & good luck with them [​IMG]

10. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by