Pekin bantam brutally attacked

Girlypants

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2017
Was very upset today, one of my Peking bantams which i introduced (by the book) to my other 2 hens was attacked by one of them, i had only checked them 20 mins before this happened and all was good, no signs of aggressive behaviour.
The poor little bantam had severe injuries to the back of her head, i could see the back of her skull and the flesh of her neck, the skin and flesh had been ripped apart, after cleaning the injury i used liquid stitches to close up the wound and covered the area in sudocrem, she seems fine even tho the injury looked life threatening at the time, at the moment shes on her own in a separate chicken coop, im unsure weather or not to bring her indoors, i feel its my fault this happened and doing all i can so she has the best treatment for a full recovery, any advice on her treatment is greatly welcome

ps i gave the hen that brutally attacked her to a friend as i lost trust and love for her, she will have a good life no worries there

She should heal up fine. Chickens are good at it. What breeds were the aggressive ones? Chickens don't like strangers. Bantam are best kept only with other bantams as bigger breeds are often rougher than most bantams.

If possible get the one out where the others can see it so when she's healed up they will know her and introductions should go better.

She should heal up fine. Chickens are good at it. What breeds were the aggressive ones? Chickens don't like strangers. Bantam are best kept only with other bantams as bigger breeds are often rougher than most bantams.

If possible get the one out where the others can see it so when she's healed up they will know her and introductions should go better.

Thanks for replying
1 black bantam and a golden buff, the black bantam hen which did the attacking has a new home now.
Tomorrow ill be getting a few pekin bantams so in total ill have 3 pekin bantams and 1 golden buff, now i know the 3 bantams get along as they all are sisters but will take great care this event dont happen again
Im just hoping she heals

I've seen stuff heal up I never though would. Chickens are amazing at it thankfully. So it was an aggressive bantam? That's usually unusual. I enjoy my little bantam cochins as they are called here. They are a fun little breed.

Back
Top Bottom