Pekin / Bantam Cochin COLOR GENETICS for newbies

megamagee

Hatching
Sep 6, 2016
Finland
Hi you all!

I am new chicken owner, I hatched my first chick this summer from a grocery store egg. As I only got one poor baby hatching, I had to buy some company to her. So I got myself 4 Pekin / Bantam Cochins, "pure bred".
But - breeding chickens to Standard of Perfection is not very common here in cold and far away land of north, I don't have a clue what color they are.

...and such perfectionist that I am, it annoys me so much that I don't know what they are, and that I don't know how to start breeding wisely with them.
And of course one problem being that they are all cockerels ;) so I'll be needing some hens later on.

So after all this blabbering, could you wise people of this forum firstly tell me what colours these are (probably poor colors and not wisely bred), and then address me to a website that would have photos and genetics explained for this breed?

I have background of breeding show rodents ans also purebred dogs, and I really would love to get a new breeding project going on.

They all are sired by splash rooster and dams are black, buff and ??yellow? (photos of them are on the bottom)

what are these?

is this a self blue?

..and is this a poor brown red?

photos of proud daddy & moms:

those ones who actually did read this far & would help me, THANK YOU in advance :D

Hello from Canada!
I am new to Cochin's this year so far from an expert but here's what I can tell you:
The one on the right in first pic looks to be a blue cochin...the one on left may be splash or mottled (from what I have read you need to wait until their first adult molt at approx 16 months to get a true picture of how splash will look)
I think pic #2 is self blue
Personally I think the brown mix chick is gorgeous! But I have no clue what you would call it.

You may get better expert response if you post your photos on the "Bantam Cochin" thread. Just type that into the search bar. Best of luck on your new adventure :)

Back
Top Bottom