Pekin behaviors

lynnemabry

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Beautiful Lake County
In March I got a turkey and a pair of Pekins and a pair of runner ducks. All was good, I even got M/F pairs of each. They where all in one coop.
Along came the Valley fire and my last step was to open the coops as I left. When I was able to come home a week later( yes I was very luck) I had lost half my chickens, and three of the ducks. All that was left was a pekin hen and a tom turkey and of course ten chickens. I was fortunate to be able too get pullets and chicks and two Pekin drakes and one pekin hen. Boy, was that a happy duck to see more ducks.
Since then, the original pekin hen acts like she has chosen the tom as her mate. Head bobbing and all. The threesome still acts like a threesome. And the turkey chases them but doesn't hurt anyone.
The female was supposably laying but I haven't seen any eggs.

So.... The ?s.

When do Pekins start to lay?
How often?
How long to get over the stress of the move?
A turkey and a duck, really?

Pekins start laying later than other breeds - around 6 or 7 months old. I have a Pekin duck that is 7 months old, and still isn't laying. My other Pekin gives me 4-5 eggs a week, and they are huuuge. The fire was traumatic, so she might take another month or two to recover from the stress. When I've added laying ducks to my flock, they will usually take a month off laying while getting used to their new surroundings.

A turkey and a duck - why not?
hu.gif

They have a shared history, and they must like to talk about it together. :) As long as no one is going to get hurt, I'd let them run together.

Pekins start laying later than other breeds - around 6 or 7 months old.  I have a Pekin duck that is 7 months old, and still isn't laying.  My other Pekin gives me 4-5 eggs a week, and they are huuuge.  The fire was traumatic, so she might take another month or two to recover from the stress.  When I've added laying ducks to my flock, they will usually take a month off laying while getting used to their new surroundings. 

A turkey and a duck - why not? :confused:

They have a shared history, and they must like to talk about it together.  :)  As long as no one is going to get hurt, I'd let them run together. 

OH thank you, I love having, the conversations can be pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom